Centre for Nursing Research -
Deakin University and Monash Health Partnership
The Partnership between Deakin University and Monash (formerly Southern) Health was established in May 2006. This partnership has resulted in the development of the Centre for Nursing Research - Deakin University and Monash Health Partnership, which is based at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton Campus. The Centre for Nursing Research conducts research activities across all Monash Health sites.
To be nationally and internationally recognised as a centre of excellence in nursing research in the areas of Quality, Safety and Risk Management.
To conduct high quality research that informs clinical practice, policy development and education.
- To conduct a research program in the areas of quality, safety and risk management with the aim of enhancing the independence and wellbeing of individuals in clinical and aged care settings.
- To encourage and support nurse clinicians to participate in research activities.
- To promote the integration of research findings into educational programs, health care policy and clinical practice.
- To develop and support research collaboration between Monash Health, Deakin University and other industry partners.
Current Research Activities
In promoting the nexus between research, education and practice, the themes of knowledge translation, person-centred care, decision making, and patient safety and risk management underpin the research conducted by the Centre. The program of research centres on four interconnected areas of nursing practice and development: symptom management, care of the older person, chronic disease and workforce development.
Care of the older person
- Nursing management of behaviours of concern in residential aged care facilities
- The Tri-focal Model of Care: Teaching and Research Aged Care Services (TRACS) implementation and evaluation
- Managing care of older patients in the emergency department
- Exercise physiologists improving the physical function of people on dialysis
- Home dialysis therapies e-learning project
- Kalgoorlie Goldfields chronic kidney disease evaluation
- Nursing knowledge and management of intradialytic hypotension
- Patient initiated MET calls
- Do not resuscitate (DNR) point prevalence
- Associate Nurse Unit Manager (ANUM) leadership development program evaluation
- Evaluation of the extended scope of practice Nurse Endoscopist project
- Structured interdisciplinary bedside rounding
Professor Alison Hutchinson
Chair in Nursing
Personal Assistant to Director:
Cherene Ockerby BA(Hons)
Catherine Au RN BN(Hons) GradCertNIC
Centre for Nursing Research - Deakin University and Monash Health Partnership
246 Clayton Road
Clayton, VIC 3168
Telephone: (03) 9594 4240