Student applications

The School of Nursing and Midwifery welcomes applications from Year 12 school leavers, non-school leavers, enrolled nurses, overseas nurses and nurses returning to the workforce.

Non-school leavers

We welcome applications from non-Year 12 applicants. We value the life skills, experience and other qualifications that non-school leavers bring to the profession.

Applicants must apply through VTAC regardless of prior learning or qualifications. Applicants must complete and submit a ‘VTAC Personal History' online form if they want other information to be considered. This might include information about work, community experience or reasons for applying. Applicants may wish to provide other documentation in support of their application; for example a CV, personal statement, written references etc.

All nursing and midwifery undergraduate courses require a Special Tertiary Admissions Test Multiple Choice (STAT MC) where the applicant has not completed Year 12 (or equivalent), or any tertiary study (minimum Certificate IV) within the last 10 years (from commencement date of the course applied for). Enrolled nurses applying for nursing courses are not required to sit the STAT MC.

Year 12 school leavers

Applications for undergraduate courses should be made via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions System (VTAC).

Enrolled nurses

The School of Nursing and Midwifery welcomes applications from enrolled nurses.

Enrolled nurses who hold a Diploma of Nursing and are eligible to be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) can be granted up to 8 credit points of Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) in the Bachelor of Nursing, or up to 5 credit points of CPL for the combined degrees.

For enrolled nurses who do not hold a Diploma of Nursing, yet are eligible to be registered with the NMBA, CPL will be assessed on an individual basis.

As CPL is spread across the three years of the course, students have a reduced study load for the duration of the course. CPL is granted for Trimester 1 of the course and studies commence in July (Trimester 2) or November (Trimester 3) of the first year.

Students who elect to accept CPL for any unit must ensure they have achieved the intended learning outcomes for that unit and are current in that knowledge and clinical skill.

Enrolled nurses wishing to commence one of our nursing degrees can apply via VTAC for either early round (November) or main round (January) VTAC selection for commencement in Trimester 2.

Enrolled nurses may also apply for Trimester 2 or 3 commencement by direct applications via the applicant portal.

Overseas nurses

Are you an overseas qualified registered nurse with Australian permanent residency?

For further information on how to obtain registration as a general nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA), please contact the School of Nursing and Midwifery to discuss our pre-registration program.

Nurses returning to the workforce

If you've been registered previously as a general nurse in Australia, but have not had recent nursing experience and wish to update your skills and knowledge, the Return to Practice/Initial Registration of Overseas Nurses – Registered Nurse course is specifically designed to fulfill registration requirements for the NMBA.

Please note this is a full-fee paying course.

Contact us

School of Nursing and Midwifery
+61 3 9251 7777
Email the School of Nursing and Midwifery

School of Nursing and Midwifery
Faculty of Health
Deakin University
221 Burwood Highway
Burwood, Victoria 3125