Staff profile - Adrian Raftery
Dr Adrian Raftery
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Department:||Deakin Business School|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446643 +61 3 92446643|
B.Bus, CFP, CPA, CTA, FCA, F Fin, GradCertJournalism, MBA, PhD
Adrian holds an MBA and specialises in business planning, financial planning and tax. Adrian holds a graduate diploma in financial planning and a graduate certificate in Journalism. He recently completed his PhD for examination with the School of Accounting at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) where his focus of research is on Australian Self-Managed Superannuation Funds.
Despite being called it for years, a lot of people confuse Mr Taxman with the ATO. "Consider 'Mr Taxman' as being the good cop compared to 'The Taxman' as being the bad cop ... a subtle but important difference" says Adrian.
- Bachelor of Business, Univ. of Technology Sydney, 1993
- Master of Business Administration, Univ. of Technology Sydney, 1999
- Graduate Certificate of Journalism, Univ. of Technology Sydney, 2011
- Doctor of Philosophy, Univ. of Technology Sydney, 2014
- GCHE Exempt, Deakin University, 2015
- Australian Business Awards for Service Excellence (2008)
- Australian Business Awards for Community Contribution (2008 and 2010)
- Named in Top 50 companies by www.smartcompany.com.au (2008 and 2009)
- Named in the Masterclass Top 50 in Australia for financial planners by Personal Investor magazine and BT (2006 and 2007)
- Represented Australian Masters’ AFL v Ireland in six International Rules Tests (2006, 2008 & 2009)
- Played in EJ Whitten Legends AFL match for All Stars (2009)
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- Fellow of FINSIA
- Chartered Tax Adviser, Taxation Institute of Australia
- Certified Financial Planner, Financial Planning Association
- Certified Practising Accountant, CPA Australia
- Author of '101 Ways to Save Money on Your Tax - Legally!', Wrightbooks, Sydney
- Corporate Accounting
- Financial Planning
- Income Tax
- Small Business Accounting
Subjects and units currently teaching
- MAF255 Financial Planning
- MAF311 Superannuation Planning
- MAF312 Advanced Financial Planning
- MAF708 Retirement Income Streams
- MAF709 Financial Planning Development
- MAF765 Financial Planning and Analysis
- Financial Planning
Conferences and seminars
- AFAANZ Conference, Melbourne, July 2012
- AAA Auditing Section Mid-Year Conference and Doctoral Consortium, New Orleans, USA, January 2013
- AFAANZ Doctoral Consortium, Perth, July 2013
- UNSW Colloquium of Superannuation Researchers, Sydney, July 2013
- EARNet Doctorial Consortium, Trier, Germany, September 2013
- QARN, Auckland, NZ, October 2013
- ANCAAR, Canberra, December 2013
- JCAE, Malaysia, January 2014
- EAA Congress, Tallinn, May 2014
- BAFA Audit & Assurance Conference, UK, May 2014
- AFAANZ Conference, Auckland, July 2014
- Wrote regular money/finance columns for Woman's Day, Your Trading and Your Investment magazines
Awards and prizes
- PhD Scholarship - UTS Accounting Discipline Group, 2011
- Top-up PhD Scholarship from CIFR, 2013
- People’s Choice Winner of 3 Minute Thesis competition UTS Business, 2013.
- AFAANZ representative at 2014 EAA Colloquium, Talinn, Estonia
- Voted in top twenty postgraduate lecturers in the UTS Business School, 2012 & 2013
- Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2012 Cost, investment performance, asset allocation and audit attributes of SMSFs in Australia, (with H. Bateman and A. Ferguson). ($10,000 over 12 months)
- Centre for International Finance & Regulation, 2013 Monitoring and performance attributes of superannuation funds in Australia, (with B. Arnold, H. Bateman and A. Ferguson), ($93,329 over 12 months).
- Centre for International Finance & Regulation, 2013 Self-Managed Super Funds: Why are they popular and do they fulfil a useful purpose? (with R. Bird, D. Foster and S. Thorp), ($127,100 over 3 years).
- Accounting & Finance Association of Australia & New Zealand, 2014 SMSFs: What is the real cost? (with A. Jain), ($4,100 over 12 months).
- Ferguson, A., Pündrich, G. & Raftery, A. 2014, ‘Auditor industry specialisation, service bundling and partner effects in a mining-dominated city’, Auditing: A Journal of Theory and Practice, August 2014, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 153-180.
- Arnold, B., Bateman, H., Ferguson, A. & Raftery, A. 2014, ‘Understanding assurance in the Australian self-managed superannuation fund industry’, Working Paper, UTS
- Arnold, B., Bateman, H., Ferguson, A. & Raftery, A. 2014, 'The size, cost and asset allocation of Australian self-managed superannuation funds', Working Paper, UTS
- Raftery, A.M., 2014, 101 Ways to Save Money on Your Tax - Legally!, Wrightbooks, Sydney, 4th edition.