Dr Alison Beauchamp
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Health|
|Department:||School of Health & Soc. Dev.|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446517 +61 3 92446517|
Alison is an ARC Post-Doctoral Industry (APDI) Research Fellow in the Public Health Innovation Unit at Deakin University. She is currently a CI on the ARC Linkage Grant “Enhancing Health Literacy to optimise health equality across Victorian communities”. Her role is to manage this large project (named Ophelia Victoria), which involves collaborating with 9 healthcare sites throughout Victoria to support them in applying a new approach to intervention development and implementation. In her role as APDI Fellow, Alison aims to strengthen the evidence-base for the determinants of health inequalities, and to develop methods for identifying which types of healthcare interventions contribute to socioeconomic gradients in health outcomes. Alison was a NHMRC scholar in the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine at Monash University and was awarded her PhD in 2011. Prior to undertaking her PhD, Alison was a Registered Nurse with an extensive cardiac portfolio. This clinical background provides her with a unique perspective on addressing the challenges associated with implementing new interventions in healthcare settings. She currently co-supervises three PhD students, and has a strong track record relative to opportunity. Her growing international profile is evidenced by invitations to present her work in Australia the UK, the US and Asia.
- Victorian Department of Health project-specific funding “Development and Validation of a health literacy tool to support clinical interactions” $65,000 Beauchamp A. Hawkins M, Elsworth G, Batterham R, Dodson S, Osborne R.
- Victorian Department of Health project-specific funding “Health literacy and Breast Screening responsiveness” $250,000 Dodson A, Beauchamp A, Osborne R.
- Victorian Department of Health project-specific funding “Ophelia Cancer initiative – Grampians region” $168,289 Osborne R, Dodson S, Livingston T, Beauchamp A, Batterham R.
- Remedy Healthcare project-specific funding ‘Understanding health literacy needs of Private Health Consumers” $42,000. Beauchamp A, Dodson S, Osborne R
- Victorian Department of Health project-specific funding “Improving the primary prevention of heart disease in rural & regional populations: A Practice Nurse-led absolute risk assessment clinic; the HeartsFirst pilot study” Rolley J, Driscoll A, Beauchamp A, Halcomb E. $43,000
- Victorian Department of Health project-specific funding “Improving medication compliance in heart failure patients using a Health literacy framework” Driscoll A, Beauchamp A, Osborne R. $95,603
- National Heart Foundation project-specific funding “Use of a health literacy framework to evaluate an educational resource for cardiac secondary prevention: a randomised controlled trial” Beauchamp A, Driscoll A, Livingstone T, Osborne R. $22,000
- Australian Post-Doctoral Industry (APDI) award on ARC linkage grant, “Enhancing Health Literacy to optimise health equality across Victorian communities” Osborne, R, Buchbinder R, Beauchamp A, $1,411,588
- Research Seeding Grant, University of Ballarat. ”Incorporating foundational health literacy education into nursing curriculum: responding to clinical demand”. Smith A, Beauchamp A, Elmer S, $10,000
- National Heart Foundation travel grant, $2000
- Australian National Preventive Health Agency grant “The impact of obesity prevention policy on social inequalities in obesity” Peeters A, Backholer K, Martin J , Magliano D, Woods J, Stevenson C, Beauchamp A, Ball K., $247,340
- ARC Linkage grant “What will it take to decrease socio-economic inequalities in obesity?” Peeters A, Magliano D, Stevenson C, Martin J, Ball K, Beauchamp A. $223,161
- Monash University Travel Grant to attend course on health inequalities in Florence, $2115.00
- National Health and Medical Research Council PhD Scholarship, $84,239.00
- Gearon E, Backholer K, Stevenson C , Magliano D, Keating C, Ball K , Beauchamp A, Peeters A. Trends in body mass index according to educational attainment. Int J of Obesity, 2015 39:1019-26
- Boelsen-Robinson T, Peeters A, Beauchamp A, et al. A systematic review of the effectiveness of whole-of-community interventions by socioeconomic position. Obesity Rev 2015 39:1019-26
- Beauchamp A, Buchbinder R, Dodson S, et al. Distribution of health literacy strengths and weaknesses across socio-demographic groups: a survey using the HLQ. BMC Pub Health 2015 15:678 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/15/678
- Missen K, McKenna L, Beauchamp A. Graduate Nurse Program Coordinators' perspectives on graduate nurse programs. In press, March 13th Collegian.
- Cooper S, Cant R, Bogossian F, Kinsman L, Bucknall T, Beauchamp, A, et al. Patient deterioration education: Evaluation of face-to-face simulation approaches. Clin Sim Nurs, 2015 11: 97-105
- Missen K, McKenna L, Beauchamp A. Graduate nurse program coordinators’ perceptions of role adaptation experienced by new nursing graduates. J Nurs Ed Practice. 2014, 4; 134-141
- Batterham R, Buchbinder R, Beauchamp A,et al. The OPtimising HEalth LIterAcy (Ophelia) process: study protocol. BMC Pub Health 2014, 14:694
- Missen K, McKenna L, Beauchamp A. Satisfaction of newly graduated nurses enrolled in transition-to-practice programmes in their first year of employment:. J Adv Nurs 2014
- Backholer K, Beauchamp A, et al. A framework for evaluating the socioeconomic health impact of obesity prevention strategies. Am J Pub Hlth 104:43-50
- Beauchamp A, et al The effect of obesity prevention interventions according to socioeconomic position. Ob rev 2014 15: 541-554
- Bogossian F, Cooper S, Cant R, Beauchamp A, et al. Undergraduate nursing students' performance in recognising and responding to sudden patient deterioration. NET (2013)
- Beauchamp A, et al. Attendance at cardiac rehabilitation is associated with lower all-cause mortality after 14 years. Heart 2013 99:620-5.
- Driscoll A, Beltrame J, Beauchamp A, et al. Reducing Risk in Coronary Artery Disease. Are Australian Patients in General Practice Achieving Targets? Int Med 2013 43:526-31
- Cooper S, Beauchamp A, et al. Managing patient deterioration: a protocol BMC Nurs 2012, 11:18
- Backholer K, Mannan H, Magliano D, Walls HL, Stevenson C, Beauchamp A, et al Projected socioeconomic disparities in the prevalence of obesity amongst Australian adults. ANZJPH 2012, 36:557–563
- Beauchamp A, et al Incidence of cardiovascular risk factors by education level. LLCS 2011 2(3)
- Driscoll A, Beauchamp A, Suboptimal management of cardiovascular risk factors in coronary heart disease patients. Intern Med 2011 40(10)
- Harriss L, Ajani A, Hunt D, Shaw J, Beauchamp A, et al Accuracy of national mortality codes in identifying adjudicated cardiovascular deaths. ANZJPH 2011 35:466-76
- Beauchamp A, et al. Validation of de-identified record linkage to ascertain hospital admissions in a cohort study. BMC Med Res Methodol 2011, 11:42
- Beauchamp A, et al. Associations between smoking status, lifestyle and lipoprotein subclasses. J Clin Lipid 2010 4:522–530
- Beauchamp A, et al. Best practice for prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease through an equity lens: a review. EJCPR 2010 17:599–606
- Beauchamp A, et al. Inequalities in cardiovascular disease mortality: the role of behavioural, physiological and social risk factors. JECH 2010 64:542-548 .