Staff profile - Bonnie Yim
Aprof Bonnie Yim
|Position:||Associate Professor of Early Childhood Education |
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Arts & Education|
|Department:||School of Education|
|Campus:||Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 52272659 +61 3 52272659|
Dr Bonnie Yim is an Associate Professor and the Course Director of the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education (BECE) and BECE (Honours) courses at Deakin University. Bonnie’s research interests include early childhood education and policy, child development, curriculum development and evaluation, cross-cultural studies, active learning engagement, and teacher education. She is an active researcher and has published widely in these areas. Bonnie has been conducting joint-research with Griffith University, RMIT, LaTrobe University, the SEED Institute in Singapore, and the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (HKIVE). Bonnie is also an early years consultant in Australia, Singapore, Mainland China, Hong Kong and Indonesia.
Subjects and units currently teaching
- ECE110 Child Development 1
- ECE210 Child Development 2
- ECE116 Health, safety, well being and nutrition I
- ECE303 Children as Individuals
- ESE499 Independent Project
- EXR481 Education Research Methodology
- EXR491 Designing And Developing A Research Project
- EXR478 Theory in Education Research
- EXR479 Independent Reading Study
- EXR498 Minor Thesis Part A
- EXR499 Minor Thesis Part B
PhD - Higher Degree by Research Program
Supervision of Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students:
PhD thesis – Leadership in Early Childhood in Singapore Context
PhD thesis – Exploring the quality of educator-child relationships on learning outcomes and wellbeing
PhD thesis – Children’s involvement in dramatic play: An indicator of early childhood program quality
PhD thesis – A case study on how a sample of neophyte early childhood teachers in Singapore develop their professional identity
Conferences and seminars
Three most recent:
- Yim, H. Y. B., Paatsch, L., Moles, J., Walker-Gibbs, B., & Redpath, T. (2014). Flexible and accessible learning: The delivery of an early childhood teacher education program in regional Australia. Paper presented at the 15th Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association (PECERA) conference, Bali, Indonesia.
- Ebbeck, E., & Yim, H. Y. B. (2013). Research in Singapore: A study of technology with young children. Paper presented at the Joint SELF Biennial International Conference and Educational Research Association of Singapore (ERAS) Conference, Singapore.
- Yim, H. Y. B., Garvis, S., Lemon, N., & Pendergast, D. (2013). Enhancing pre-service teachers' learning of child development (birth to three years) with online media: What have we learnt. Paper presented at the Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association 14th Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Using video to improve pre-service teachers' understanding of children under 3
- Touch screen usage by young children
- Implications of restructuring of Early Childhood Education for teacher professional development
- Teaching and learning issues of undergraduate early childhood education courses
- Music and Young Children: An Examination of Curriculum Practices in Early Childhood Education (aged 3-5 years) in Regional Queensland
- Mixed method research approach
- Data mining
- Early childhood education and policy
- Ecological systems theories
- Attachment theories
- Sociocultural theories
- Child development
- Teacher education and professionalism
- Curriculum development and evaluation
- Cross-cultural and comparative research
- Citizenship and migration
- Music education
- Learning engagement of young children
Three most recent:
- Ebbeck, E., Yim, H. Y. B., & Lee, L. W. M. (2014). Play materials. In S. Garvis & D. Pendergast (Eds.), Health and wellbeing in childhood (pp. 272-286). Port Melbourne, Victoria: Cambridge University Press.
- Yim, H. Y. B., Boo, Y. L., & Ebbeck, M. (2014). A study of children’s musical preference: A data mining approach. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 39(2), 21-34.
- Ebbeck, M., Yim, H. Y. B., & Lee, L. W. M. (2013). Play-based learning. In D. Pendergast & S. Garvis (Eds.), Teaching early years: Curriculum, pedagogy and assessment (pp. 185-200). Sydney: Allen & Unwin.