Staff profile - Elsa Underhill
Dr Elsa Underhill
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Department:||BL Deakin Business School|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 924 45089 +61 3 924 45089|
- Association Of Industrial Relations Academics Of Australia & New Zealand (Former President)
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria (Former Vice-President, Advocacy & Dispute Resolution)
- International Industrial Relations Association
- Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants
- Associate, Business Outsourcing and Restructuring Regulatory Research Network
- Human Resource Management
- Workplace Counselling and Negotiation
Subjects and units currently teaching
MMH250 Workplace Counselling and Negotiation
MPM722 Human Resource Management
MPR722 Human Resource Management Residential
Precarious employment and workplace health and safety
Temporary migrant workers
Worker representation in the construction industry
Regulating labour hire employment (temporary employment agencies)
Awards and prizes
- 2009 Faculty Exemplar of Teaching Excellence Award, for Unfair Dismissal Workshop conducted in MPR722.
- 2005 Vice Chancellor's award for Outstanding Achievement in Teaching and Learning (team award for residential teaching).
- Recognised expert in OHS and labour hire employment, including expert opinions in court cases
- Widely cited in Reports of State and National government enquiries involving OHS, and changing labour markets
- Organised the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria/Australian Industrial Relations Commission Advocacy Training Programs (until 2008)
- Organised the International Symposium on Regulating Precarious Employment in 2011, sponsored by Safe Work Australia
- Recipient of two Deakin University Teaching Awards for residential program teaching
Worker Representation in OHS in the Australian Construction Industry, with Profs. Michael Quinlan (UNSW), David Walters (Cardiff) and Dr. Emma Wadsworth (Cardiff). Research grant from the CFMEU
The Harvest Trail: Employment and OHS amongst international backpackers in the Australian harvesting sector, with Emer. Prof. Malcolm Rimmer (La Trobe).
Employment status and employee well-being, with Drs. Melissa Parris, Kerrie Saville & Justine Ferrer.
Licensing of temporary agency employers (labour hire employers): a review of international standards and their relevance to Australia.
- Occupational health and safety and temporary agency workers
- Labour market change
- Human Resource Management
- Industrial Relations Policy and Strategies
- Strategies for improving the safe placement of agency workers
- Interrelationships between human resource management policies and practices and OHS outcomes
- 2011 grant SafeWork Australia A$3,000
- 2010 grant Department of Justice & Attorney General, Queensland Government A$45,630
- 2010 grant CSaRO, FOBL (with A.Noblet) A$12,410
Worker representation in OHS in the Construction Industry, with Profs. Michael Quinlan (UNSW), David Walters (Cardiff) and Dr. Emma Wadsworth (Cardiff)
The Harvest Trail: A study of employment and OHS amongst international backpackers in the Australian harvesting sector, with Emer. Prof. Malcolm Rimmer (La Trobe).