AsPr Jacob Cybulski
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Department:||Deakin Business School|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446847 +61 3 92446847|
I am Associate Professor in the Department of Information Systems and Business Analytics, Deakin Business School, at Deakin University (Australia). My previous experience includes academic and research positions at a number of Australian organisations. I also worked as an IT consultant to various organisations. My research interests focus on information systems theory and strategy, information visualisation and business analytics, as well as, business games and simulations. My current work is in the area of Business Analytics and I am Director of SAS Visual Analytics Collaboratory, Course Director of Master of Business Analytics, and I teach Predictive Analytics at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. My past projects range from engineering and telecommunications applications to developing software productivity environments and toolkits.
- Bachelor of Applied Science, Royal Melb Inst. of Technology, 1983
- Master of Applied Science, Royal Melb Inst. of Technology, 1988
- Doctor of Philosophy, La Trobe University, 2001
Member Association of Computing Machines
- Member of Association for Computer Machinery (ACM)
- Member of Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Member of Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Business Analytics
- Business Analysis
- Research Methods
Subjects and units currently teaching
- MIS772 Predictive Analytics (2015)
- MIS372 Predictive Analytics (2015)
- MIS201 Business Requirements Analysis (2014)
- MIS701 Business Requirements Analysis (2013-2014)
- MSC273 Business Intelligence (2010-2011)
- MSC754 Business Analysis (2009-2012)
- Morteza Namvar, The Role of Business Intelligence in Organisational Sensemaking, PhD, 2012-To date.
- Bardo Fraunholz, Understanding and transferring project experience, PhD, 2012-To date.
- Edyta Rozycki, Business Process Affordances, PhD, 2012-2015.
- Arezou Pour Mirza, Trust and Technology in Modern Inter-organisational Relationships: A Study in Petrochemical Industry, PhD, 2012-2015.
- Tanya Linden, Acquiring Domain-Wide Problem-Solving Experience: Mining Multimedia Design Practices, PhD, 1999-2011.
- Stas Lukaitis, A Hermeneutic Phenomenological Investigation of Business and IT Alignment, PhD, 2003-2010.
- Belinda Moloney, Investigation of the Value Chain for Creative Products: A Phenomenological Study of Music Intermediaries, PhD, 2004-2008.
- Pradip Sarkar, Consideration of Stakeholder Concerns in the Evolution of Web-Enabled Services within Organizations, PhD, 2001-2004.
Awards and prizes
- ALTC Award for Programs That Enhance Learning for “Disseminating innovations in digital role-play simulations for educating professions” (Innovation in Curricula, Learning and Teaching). Team: Associate Professor Jacob Cybulski, Stephen Segrave, Associate Professor Dale Holt, David O'Brien and Judy Munro. 2011.
- Vice-Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Achievement in Teaching and Learning for the project titled “Effective partnering delivers e-Simulations for flexible education in the professions: Deakin leads national project building organisational capacity”. Team: Associate Professor Jacob Cybulski, Associate Professor Dale Holt, Mr Stephen Segrave, Ms Judy Munro and Mr David O'Brien. 2011.
- Business Analytics, including Business Intelligence, Predictive Analytics and Text Analytics
- Information Visualisation, including Visual Analytics and 3D Interactive Data Visualisation
- Cybulski, J, Mather, D, Keller, S, Saundage, D and Dharmasena, L. Enhancing collaborative learning in information systems business analytics using data visualisation and manipulation techniques, OLT Seed Projects - Office for Learning and Teaching, $220,000, 2013-2014.
- Cybulski, J, Segrave, S, Holt, D and Munro, J. ALTC Project - CG8-771 - Building academic staff capacity for using eSimulations in professional education for experience transfer, $220,000, 2008-2009.
- Strategic Teaching and Learning Grant (STALGS) for "Evidence-based, flexible eLearning for the professions: building integrated student tracking in Deakin's eSimulations for improved assessment, evaluation and research", with Segrave, Poteralski, Kerry, Rees and Mitrione. Deakin University $48,665, 2008.
- Strategic Teaching and Learning Grant (STALGS) for "Experiential Learning Through Simulations: Enhancing education in the professions through interactive computer simulations online", with Segrave, McNolty, Cassidy, Crassini and Demetrious. $80,000. 2004-2005, Further continued in 2006 under the Reserve STALGS funding.
- Director, SAS Visual Analytics Collaboratory, http://visanalytics.org/.
- Jacob Cybulski, Susan Keller and Dilal Saundage (2015): "Interactive exploration of data with visual metaphors." Int. J. of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Vol 25, No 2 (March), pp 231-252.
- Jacob Cybulski, Susan Keller, Lemai Nguyen and Dilal Saundage (2015): "Creative problem-solving in digital space using visual analytics", Computers and Human Behavior, Vol 42 (January), pp 20-35.
- Dale Holt, Stephen Segrave and Jacob L. Cybulski (Editors, 2012), Professional Education Using e-Simulations: Benefits of Blended Learning Design, IGI Global Publishing.
- Tanya Linden and Jacob L. Cybulski (2010): "A Hermeneutic study of pattern mining as a knowledge creation process: Exploring multimedia design practices", J. of Information and Knowledge Management (JIKM) 9(3), pp 263-275.
- Linden, T. and Cybulski, J. (2009) Application of hermeneutics to studying an experience mining process, J. of Information Technology Vol 24, No 3, pp 231-250.
- Nguyen, L. and Cybulski, J. (2008) Learning to Become a Creative Systems Analyst, in Dylan Schmorrow, Joseph Cohn and Denise Nicholson (eds), The PSI Handbook of Virtual Environments for Training and Education, pp. 208-226, Praeger Security International, Westport, Connecticut.