Staff profile - Liz Weldon
Dr Liz Weldon
|Position:||Lecturer in Earth Sciences|
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Science Engineering & Built Environment|
|Department:||School of Life and Environmental Sciences|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92517191 +61 3 92517191|
Liz completed her PhD in palaeontology at Deakin University and is employed at Deakin as a Lecturer in Earth Sciences. From 2004-2006 Liz was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at China University of Geosciences, Wuhan. Currently, Liz returns to Wuhan annually to teach at Hubei University.
Liz's research is on the taxonomy, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology of Guadalupian (Middle Permian) brachiopods, molluscs and conulariids. Liz’s principle field work area is the southern Sydney Basin of eastern Australia.
- Bachelor of Arts, Deakin University, 1999
- Bachelor of Science, Deakin University, 1999
- Bachelor of Science, Deakin University, 2000
- Doctor of Philosophy, Deakin University, 2006
Honorary Secretary - Association of Australasian Palaeontologists (2010-2012)
Honorary Editor – Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria (2006-2010)
Victorian Coordinator – Teacher Earth Science Education Programme (2009)
Palaeontology and History of Life
Subjects and units currently teaching
First year - History of Life (Unit Chair)/ Physical Geography (Guest Lecturer Hubei University)
Second year - Biogeography (Unit Chair)/ Hydrology and Water Resources Management (fluvial substrates and soils component)
First year - Water Science/Physical Environment/Ecology and the Environment/The Evolving Earth
Second year - Society and the Environment/Integrated Environmental Management/Palaeoenvironmental Analysis
Third Year - Integrated Catchment Management/Urban Ecology/Geomorphology/Coastal Management/Global Geology/Geological Field Mapping
Masters/PhD - Conversational English (China University of Earth Sciences)
Palaeontology – Permian marine invertebrates (brachiopods, molluscs, conulariids)
Conferences and seminars
Secretariat, Executive Committee Member, Editor of Proceedings, 6th International Brachiopod Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 2010
Executive Committee Member, 2nd International Palaeontological Congress,
Beijing, China, 2006
Field Excursion Leader, 1st International Palaeontological Congress,
Sydney, Australia. Co-leader with Prof. G.R.Shi - Permian stratigraphy, sedimentology and palaeontology of the southern Sydney Basin, eastern Australia, 2001
Awards and prizes
PhD Scholarship: Australian Postgraduate Award, 2000-2003
Postgraduate Research Award for Commitment and High Achievement in Research: Deakin University, 2001
The Ralph Segnit Award for the Encouragement of Early Career Researchers: Deakin University, 2000
Systematics of Permian marine invertebrates
Permian of the Southern Sydney Basin
Permian marine biogeography
National Science Foundation of China Youth Fund: Co-Recipient of grant with Dr He Weihong (China University of Geosciences, Wuhan), 2005
‘Investigating the ‘Lilliput Effect’ (miniaturization) of brachiopods across South China during the Permian and Triassic.’
- Shi, G.R., Weldon, E.A., Percival, I.G., Pierson, R.R. & Laurie, J.R. (Eds), 2011 Brachiopods: extant and extinct – Proceedings of the Sixth International Brachiopod Congress, 1-5 February, 2010, Burwood, Australia. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists 41, 366p.
- Shi, G.R., Weldon, E.A. & Pierson, R.R., 2010. Permian stratigraphy, sedimentology and palaeontology of the southern Sydney Basin, south-east Australia – A field excursion guide (2010 version) prepared for the 6th International Brachiopod Congress, 1-5 February 2010, Melbourne, Australia. Association of Australasian Palaeontologists Field Guide Series No. 1, Geological Society of Australia, 72p. (2008 version also available)
- Gong, Yi-Ming, Shi, G. R., Zhang, Li-Jun and Weldon, Elizabeth. A (2010) Zoophycos composite ichnofabrics and tiers from the Permian neritic facies in South China and south-eastern Australia, Lethaia: an international journal of paleontology and stratigraphy, 43(2), pp.182-196.
- Shi, G.R., McCann, D.A., Talent, J.A., Pierson, R.R. & Weldon, E.A. (Eds), 2008. A Memorial Issue in Honour of Professor Neil W. Archbold. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria 120(1), 401pp.
- Gong, Yi-ming, Shi, Guang, Weldon, Elizabeth A., Du, Yuan-Sheng and Xu, Y Ran 2008. Pyrite framboids interpreted as microbial colonies within the Permian Zoophycos spreiten from southeastern Australia, Geological Magazine, 145(1), pp.95-103.
- He Weihong, Feng Qinglai, Weldon, Elizabeth A., Gu Songzhu, Meng Youyan, Zhang Fan, Wu Shunbao (2007) A Late Permian to Early Triassic bivalve fauna from the Dongpan section, southern Guangxi, South China. Journal of Paleontology, 81(5), pp.1009-1019.
- Weldon, E.A. & Shi, G.R., 2007. A review of Terrakea Booker, 1930 (Productindina, Brachiopoda): Implications for Permian marine biogeography. In Proceedings of the XVth International Congress on Carboniferous and Permian Stratigraphy. Utrecht, the Netherlands, 10-16 August 2003. T.E. Wong, ed., Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Amsterdam, pp.575-584.
- Yang, Q., Wang, Y.D., Wang, H.F. & Weldon, E.A., 2006. “Ancient Life and Modern Approaches”— Second International Palaeontological Congress (IPC2006), Episodes 29(4), pp.295-297.
- Yang Qun, Wang Yongdong, & Weldon, Elizabeth A. (Eds), (2006) Ancient Life and Modern Approaches – Abstracts of the Second International Palaeontological Congress, June 17-21, 2006, Beijing, China. University of Science and Technology of China Press, Hefei, 586p.
- Yi-Ming Gong, Hong-Fu Yin, Ke-Xin Zhang, Yuan-Sheng Du, Qing-Lai Feng, Xu-Long Lai, Shu-Cheng Xie, Jin-Nan Tong, Song-Zhu Gu, Xiao-Ying Shi, Elizabeth A. Weldon, Guang R. Shi, Xue-Ping Ma, (2004) Simplifying the stratigraphy of time: Comments and reply, Geology, 32(8), p.59.
- Weldon, Elizabeth A. & Shi, G.R. (2003) Global distribution of Permian conulariids and palaeobiogeographical implications. Gondwana Research, 6(4), pp.791-802.
- Shi, G.R. & Weldon, Elizabeth A. (2002) Permian stratigraphy, sedimentology and palaeontology of the southern Sydney Basin, eastern Australia, Pre-4 Field Excursion Guidebook for the First International Palaeontological Congress, Macquarie University, Australia. Deakin University Technical Paper 1, pp.70.
- Weldon, Elizabeth A., (2000) Mountains, glaciers and tectonism. The Australian Geologist, p.114.