Staff profile - Matthew Warren
Prof Matthew Warren
|Position:||Associate Head of School (Research)|
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business & Law|
|Department:||Dept. of Information Systems & Business Analytics|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446567 +61 3 92446567|
Professor Warren is a Professor of Information Systems at Deakin University, Australia. He is currently the Associate Head of School (Research) and the former Head of School. Professor Warren is a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society.
Professor Warren is a researcher in the areas of Information Security, Computer Ethics and Cyber Security. He has authored and co-authored over 300 books, book chapters, journal papers and conference papers. He has received numerous grants and awards from national and international funding bodies, such as: Australian Research Council (ARC); Engineering Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) in the United Kingdom; National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa and the European Union. Professor Warren regularly reviews research proposals submitted to the Australian Research Council and the South African National Research Foundation.
Professor Warren gained his PhD in Information Security Risk Analysis from the University of Plymouth, United Kingdom and he has taught in Australia, Finland, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Plymouth, 1996
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Sunderland (UK), 1992
Professor Warren is a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society and a member of the Australian Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers.
Professor Warren currently has the following industry and professional roles:
- Academic observer on the SCADA Community of Interest, Department of Broadband, Communications & the Digital Economy;
- Member of the Australian Computer Society – Computer Ethics Sub Committee;
- Member of the Australian Computer Society – Information Security Specialist Advisory Group;
- Coordinator of the Australian Computer Society – Victoria – Special Interest Group on Information Security.
Professor Warren has previously undertaken the following industry and professional roles:
- Member of the Geelong ICT Cluster Steering Committee;
- Member of the Australian Computer Society – Cyber Security Task Force;
- Member of the Australian Computer Society – Victoria State Board;
- Member of the Australian Computer Society – Higher Education Committee;
- Chair of the IFIP TC11 – Working Group 11.1- Security Management;
- Member of the IFIP TC11 Council;
- Member of the NOIE (National Office of Information Economy) advisory group on IT Security Education;
- Director of the Australian Institute of Computer Ethics;
- Member of the Australian Standards Committee – IT/12/4 Security Techniques;
- Member of the BS7799 International Advisory Committee.
Professor Warren has gained international recognition for his scholarly work in the areas of Information Security, Computer Ethics and Cyber Security (including Critical Infrastructure Protection, Cyber Warfare and SCADA Security). Professor Warren aims to undertake research that will help to safeguard Australia and the greater community.
Professor Warren is a researcher in the areas of Information Security, Computer Ethics and Cyber Security.
Professor Warren has been quoted by the IT news media and general news media (TV, radio, print and online) in Australia, Brunei, Denmark, France, New Zealand, The Peoples Republic of China, South Africa, Singapore, Sweden, UK, USA and by the US Government in areas relating to Information Security, Computer Ethics and Cyber Security.
Notable media outlets include: Australian Broadcasting Company, Australian Financial Review, British Broadcasting Company, CNNfn (Online), Sunday Telegraph (UK), Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Australian, The Brunei Times, Radio New Zealand, Yahoo and Xinhua News Agency.