Dr Melissa Hayden
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Health|
|Department:||School of Psychology|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92443001 +61 3 92443001|
HBS110: Health Behaviour
Dr Melissa Hayden has an interest in teaching undergraduate students in the area of health psychology. She primarily teaches within the Health Behaviour unit.
Health Behaviour aims to teach the skills, theories and concepts which underly behaviour modification. The unit focuses on individual behaviour change and the students undertake experiential and reflective learning approaches.
Dr. Hayden's main area of research focuses on the psychosocial aspects of obesity, the difficulties with weight loss and weight loss prevention in adults and children. She is particularly interested in why most people are not able to maintain weight loss.
• Hayden, M. J., Brown, W. A., Brennan, L., & O'Brien, P. E. (2012). Validity of the Beck Depression Inventory as a screening tool for a clinical mood disorder in bariatric surgery candidates. Obesity Surgery, 22(11), 1666-75. DOI: 10.1007/s11695-012-0682-4
• Henshall, K.R., Sergejew, A.A., McKay, C.M., Rance, G. Shea, T.L., Innes-Brown, H. Hayden, M.J. & Copolov, D.L. (2012). Interhemispheric Transfer Time in Patients with Auditory Hallucinations: an Auditory Event-Related Potential Study. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 84 (2), 130-139.
• Hayden, M.J., Dixon, J.B., Dixon, M.E., Shea, T.L. & O’Brien, P.E. Characterization of the improvement in depressive symptoms in the obese following bariatric surgery. (2011) Obesity Surgery, 21(3): 328-335.
• Hayden, M.J., Dixon, M.E., Dixon, J.B., Playfair, J. & O’Brien, P.E. (2010) Perceived discrimination and stigmatisation against severely obese women: age and weight loss make a difference Obesity Facts, 3(1), 7-14.
• Hayden, M.J., Dixon, J.B., Dixon, M.E., & O’Brien, P.E. (2010) Confirmatory factor analysis of the Beck Depression Inventory in obese individuals seeking surgery. Obesity Surgery, 20(4), 432-43, Epub 2009 Sept 18.
• Dixon, J.B., Laurie, C., Anderson, M., Hayden, M.J., Dixon, M.E., & O'Brien, P.E. (2009) Motivation, readiness to change and weight loss following adjustable gastric band surgery. Obesity, 17(4):698-705. Epub 2009 Jan 15.
• Hayden, M.J., Dixon, J.B., Piterman, L. & O’Brien, P.E. (2008) Physician attitudes, beliefs and barriers towards the management and treatment of obesity. Australian Journal Primary Health, 14(3), 9-18.
• Dixon, J.B., Hayden, M.J., Lambert, G.W., Dawood, T., Anderson, M.L., Dixon, M.E. & O’Brien, P.E. (2008). Symptoms of depression are associated with high CRP concentrations in obese subjects. Obesity, 16(9), 2010-2015.
• Hayden, M.J., Piterman, L., Dixon, J.B. & O’Brien, P. (2006) Current Teaching about Obesity in Australian Universities, Specialist Medical Colleges and through Continuing Medical Education. Medical Journal of Australia, 185 (5), 293-4