Dr Patrick Stokes
|Position:||Senior Lecturer In Philosophy|
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Arts and Education|
|Department:||SHSS Arts & Ed|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 924 43941 +61 3 924 43941|
Patrick joined Deakin in 2012, having previously held research fellowships at the University of Hertfordshire (where he remains a Research Fellow), the University of Copenhagen and St Olaf College.
Patrick's work sits at the intersections of the Continental and Analytic traditions, with research interests in 19th and 20th Century European Philosophy, personal identity, narrative selfhood, moral psychology, death and remembrance, and philosophy of religion. A particular focus in recent years has been bringing Kierkegaard into dialogue with contemporary analytic philosophy of personal identity and moral psychology, as well as exploring temporal and perspectival aspects of the question of selfhood.
Patrick is the author of The Naked Self: Kierkegaard and Personal Identity (Oxford, 2015) and Kierkegaard's Mirrors: Interest, Self, and Moral Vision (Palgrave, 2010), co-editor with John Lippitt of Narrative, Identity, and the Kierkegaardian Self (Edinburgh, 2015) and with Adam Buben of Kierkegaard and Death (Indiana University Press, 2011) and has published in edited collections and journals such as European Journal of Philosophy, Inquiry, Continental Philosophy Review, British Journal for the History of Philosophy, Journal of Consciousness Studies, Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences and Philosophy and Technology.
Patrick is also a regular contributor to The Conversation, New Philosopher, and a regular media commentator on philosophical issues. He was awarded the Australasian Association of Philosophy Media Prize in 2014.
- Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy), University of Melbourne, 2015
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, 2015
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK)
Advisory Board Member, Kierkegaard Studies Yearbook
Subjects and units currently teaching
ASP102/202 World Religions
ASP227/327 Philosophies of Religion
ASP129 Love, Sex, and Death
Conferences and seminars
Convenor (with Jeffrey Hanson) of "Kierkegaard in the World" conference (Australian Catholic University, August 2013) Convenor (with John Lippitt) of "Narrative, Identity and the Kierkegaardian Self" conference (University of Hertfordshire, November 2011) Convenor (with Adam Buben) of "Kierkegaard and Death" conference (St Olaf College, December 2007)
- Regular contributor to The Conversation and contributor to ABC The Drum, Guardian
- "Modern Dilemmas" panelist on Radio National's Life Matters, 2013
- Triple R 'Breakfasters' philosophy segment, 2014
- Contributor to magazines including New Philosopher, The Philosophers Magazine, Aeon, and Ampersand.
- Interviewed for “Fear and Trembling in Copenhagen – In Search of Søren Kierkegaard” BBC Radio 3 Sunday Feature, 29 September 2013
- Interviewed for ABC Radio National Philosopher’s Zone special on Kierkegaard at 200, 5 May 2013
- Commentator on philosophical matters on ABC local radio (various stations), Radio NZ, Sky News and commercial radio networks
- Interviewed by Ross Andersen “How Facebook Lets You Live Forever (Sort Of)“ The Atlantic 18th March 2012
- Kierkegaard on personal identity
- Affective identification and time
- Death and immortality in the digital age
- The moral psychology of K.E. Lgstrup.
Kierkegaard, personal identity, narrative selfhood, 19th and 20th century European philosophy, death and the moral/phenomenal status of the dead, moral psychology, philosophy of religion.
- European Commission: Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship, University of Hertfordshire, 2010-12.
- University of Hertfordshire QR Grant for conference “Narrative, Identity and the Kierkegaardian Self” (with John Lippitt)
- Danish Research Council for the Humanities: funding for postdoctoral project, 2008-10
- Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship, University College Dublin (did not take this fellowship up as Danish funding already accepted for the same project), 2008-2010
- Kierkegaard House Foundation Fellowship, Hong Kierkegaard Library, St Olaf College, July-December 2007
- Centre for Citizenship and Globalization
- Persona, Celebrity, Publics (PCP) Emerging Research Group
Publications since 2007
- The Naked Self: Kierkegaard and Personal Identity (Oxford, 2015)
- Kierkegaard’s Mirrors: Interest, Self, and Moral Vision (Palgrave, 2010)
- Narrative, Identity, and the Kierkegaardian Self ed. John Lippitt and Patrick Stokes (Edinburgh University Press, 2015)
- Kierkegaard and Death ed. Patrick Stokes and Adam Buben (Indiana University Press, 2011)
- “Will It Be Me? Identity, Concern, and Perspective” Canadian Journal of Philosophy (forthcoming)
- “Crossing the Bridge: The First-Person and Time” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences (forthcoming)
- “Philosophy Has Consequences! Developing Metacognition and Active Learning in the Ethics Classroom” Teaching Philosophy 35:2 (June 2012)
- “Ghosts in the Machine: Do the Dead Live On in Facebook?” Philosophy and Technology 25:3 (September 2012)
- “Is Narrative Identity Four-Dimensionalist?” European Journal of Philosophy 20:S1 (June 2012)
- “Uniting the Perspectival Subject: Two Approaches” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 10:1 (February 2011)
- “Fearful Asymmetry: Kierkegaard’s Search for the Direction of Time” Continental Philosophy Review 43:4 (December 2010)
- “Naked Subjectivity: Minimal vs. Narrative Selves in Kierkegaard” Inquiry 53:4 (August 2010)
- “‘See For Your Self’: Contemporaneity, Autopsy and Presence in Kierkegaard’s Moral-Religious Psychology” British Journal for the History of Philosophy 18:2 (April 2010)
- “What’s Missing in Episodic Selfhood? A Kierkegaardian Response to Galen Strawson” Journal of Consciousness Studies 17:1-2 (February 2010)
- “Locke, Kierkegaard, and the Phenomenology of Personal Identity” International Journal of Philosophical Studies 16:5 (December 2008)
- “‘Interest’ in Kierkegaard’s Structure of Consciousness” International Philosophical Quarterly 48:4, 192 (December 2008)
- “Kierkegaard’s Mirrors: The Immediacy of Moral Vision” Inquiry 50:1 (February 2007)
- Anthony Rudd and Patrick Stokes, “The Soul of a Philosopher: Reply to Turnbull” in H Schultz, J Stewart, and K Verstrynge (eds) Kierkegaard Studies Yearbook 2013 (de Gruyter, 2013)
- “Death” in G Pattison and J Lippitt (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Kierkegaard (Oxford, 2013)
- “Consciousness” in S Emmanuel, W McDonald and J Stewart (eds) Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources Vol. 15 Kierkegaard’s Concepts, Tome I: Philosophy (Ashgate, 2013)
- “Duties to the Dead? Earnest Imagination and Remembrance” in Stokes and Buben (eds) Kierkegaard and Death (Indiana UP, 2011)
- “The Science of the Dead: Proto-Spiritualism in Kierkegaard’s Copenhagen” in R Kralik, P Šajda and J Turnbull (eds) Kierkegaard and the Religious Crisis of the 19th Century (Acta Kiegrkegaardiana Vol.IV) (2009)
- “Anti-Climacus and Neo-Lockeanism: Towards a Kierkegaardian Personal Identity Theory” in NJ Cappelørn and KB Söderquist (eds) Kierkegaard Studies Yearbook 2009 (de Gruyter, 2009)
- “Kierkegaard’s Uncanny Encounter with Schopenhauer, 1854” in R Kralik (ed.) Kierkegaard and Great Philosophers (Acta Kierkegaardiana Vol. II) (2007)