Staff profile - Sophy Shih
Dr Sophy Shih
|Position:||Senior Research Fellow: Health Economics |
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Health|
|Department:||Deakin Population Health SRC|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446279 +61 3 92446279|
Dr Shih is an experienced Health Economist with expertise in economic modelling and chronic disease prevention research. Dr Shih has advanced modelling skills and extensive experiences in economic evaluation alongside randomized controlled trials. She has research interest in cancer prevention, diabetes prevention, cancer psychology and disability.
- Doctor of Public Health, University of Melbourne, 2004
International Health Economics Association (IHEA)
Australian Health Economics Society (AHES)
International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcome Research (ISPOR) - Australian Chapter
Health Service Research
Awards and prizes
• School of Health and Social Development “Health and Social Development Award for Service Excellence”, 2013
• Deakin Population Health Strategic Research Centre “Research Accomplishment, Early Career Category”, 2012
• Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Excellent Contributions, Deakin University Award for Research Excellence, 2011
• Special Award for Contribution to Illness Prevention Knowledge to ACE-Prevention team, VicHealth, 2010
• Deakin Population Health Strategic Research Centre Award for Partnerships and Knowledge Translation, 2010
• Best Abstract, “Growing Research Together” Research Conference, Faculty of Health, Medicine, Nursing and Behavioural Science, Deakin University, 2008
1. The Centre for Research Excellence in Cerebral Palsy (CRE-CP): a five-year NHMRC funded project
2. The Mother After Gestational Diabetes (MAGDA) Project: Preventing diabetes in pregnancy from progressing to type 2 diabetes: macrolevel system change in South Australia and Victoria: a five-year NHMRC funded Partnership project
3. Coping-Together: A feasibility study of a novel, self-directed supportive care intervention to enhance illness adjustment of couples affected by prostate cancer.
4. Conquer Fear: Evaluation of a psychological and educational intervention for fear of cancer recurrence; A cluster randomised controlled trial
5. Living with Prostate Cancer: A Multimodal Supportive Care Intervention for Men with Prostate Cancer.
6. Healthy in Pregancy and Post-Birth (HIPP): A RCT to prevent primigravid excess gestational weight gain and postpartum weight retention
7. Economic Evaluation of the SunSmart Program
Dr Shih's research interests in methodology focus on economic evaluation of health service and interventions. Among a wide range of topics she has worked on, her main research is in the area of prevention for chronic diseases. Dr Shih is recognized by her work in economic evaluation of cancer screening, cancer prevention, diabetes prevention, interventions for people affected by cancer and cerebral palsy.
1. Shih S TF. Davis-Lameloise N, Janus ED, Wildey C, Versace V L, Hagger V, Asproloupos D, O'Reilly S, Phillips P, Ackland M, Skinner T, Oats J, Carter R, Best J D and Dunbar J A. Mothers After Gestational Diabetes in Australia Diabetes Prevention Program (MAGDA-DPP) post-natal intervention: an update to the study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 2014, 15:259
2. Shih S TF. Davis-Lameloise N, Janus ED, Wildey C, Versace V L, Hagger V, Asproloupos D, O'Reilly S, Phillips P, Ackland M, Skinner T, Oats J, Carter R, Best J D and Dunbar J A. Mothers After Gestational Diabetes in Australia Diabetes Prevention Program (MAGDA-DPP) post-natal intervention: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, vol 14, no 339, 2013.
3. Lambert, SD; Girgis, A; McElduff, P; Turner, J; Levesque, JV; Kayser, K; Mihalopoulos, C; Shih, S TF; Barker, D. A parallel-group, randomised controlled trial of a multimedia, self-directed, coping skills training intervention for patients with cancer and their partners: design and rational. BMJ Open 2013; 3:e003337. Doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003337
4. Butow, Phyllis N; Bell,Melanie L; Smith, Allan B; Fardell,J oanna E; Thewes, Belinda; Turner, Jane; Gilchrist, Jemma; Beith, Jane; Girgis, Afaf; Sharpe, Louise; Shih, Sophy; Mihalopoulos, Cathrine and members of the Conquer Fear Authorship Group. Conquer Fear: Protocol of a randomised controlled trial of a psychological intervention to reduce fear of cancer recurrence. BMC Cancer 2013; 13:201, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2407-13-201
5. Shih, Sophy TF; Crowley, Steve; Sheu, Jin-Chuan. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a two-stage screening intervention for hepatocellular carcinoma in Taiwan. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association 2010; 109 (1): 39-55
6. Shih, Sophy TF; Carter, Rob; Sinclair, Craig; Mihalopoulos, Cathrine; Vos. Theo. Economic evaluation of skin cancer prevention in Australia. Preventive Medicine 2009; 49:449-453
7. Phillips, Lisa; Cotton, Sue; Mihalopoulos, Cathrine; Shih, Sophy; Yung, Alison; Carter, Rob; McGorry, Patrick. Cost implications of treatment for young people at ultra high risk of developing a first-episode of psychosis. Early Intervention in Psychiatry 2009; 3:28-34
8. Phillips, L; Cotton, S; Yuen, HP; Mihalopoulos, C; Shih, S; Kelly, D; Ward, J; Yung, A. R.; McGorry, P. D. Cost effectiveness of a preventive intervention for young people at ultra high risk of developing psychosis. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2007, 33(2): 488-489
9. Mihalopoulos, C; Kiropoulos, L; Shih, S TF; Gunn, J; Blashki, G; Meadows, G. Exploratory economic analyses of two primary care mental health projects: implications for sustainability. Medical Journal Australia 2005, 18: S73-S76