Staff profile - Vicki Huang
Ms Vicki Huang
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Department:||BL Deakin Law School|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 924 68090 +61 3 924 68090|
Vicki Huang is a law lecturer at Deakin University and a PhD candidate at the University of Melbourne. Ms Huang graduated from the Melbourne Law School with first class honours. She also completed an L.L.M. at Columbia University Law School on a Burton Memorial Fellowship where she graduated with honours as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.
Prior to her appointment at Deakin, Ms Huang was a sessional lecturer at the Melbourne Law School. Ms Huang previously worked for the Federal Court of Australia as a Research Associate to the Hon. Justice Raymond Finkelstein. She also worked for a number of years at law firms in Melbourne (Ashursts) and the USA (Morrison Foerster) with a focus on litigation and intellectual property law. She has been admitted to practice in Victoria as an Australian lawyer and admitted to the State Bar of California as an American attorney.
Ms Huang also has a first class honours degree in psychology and economics and has worked in management consulting and investment banking. Her multi-disciplinary background is reflected in her research work. Ms Huang’s research focuses on inter-disciplinary aspects of intellectual property law and empirical research methods into law. She currently teaches property law, corporations law and marketing law.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Melbourne, 2004
- Master of Laws, Columbia University, 2008
- Graduate Certificate of Higher Education, Deakin University, 2013
Subjects and units currently teaching
MLL327 Property Law
MLM790 Marketing Law (Masters)
Conferences and seminars
• Brands and the Challenges of Grey Markets - Panellist, 26 October 2011, IPRIA Public Seminar, University of Melbourne.
• The Use of Survey Evidence in US Trademark Litigation - Panellist, 23 July 2014, CMCL Seminar, University of Melbourne.
Awards and prizes
• Australian Postgraduate Award (PhD scholarship 2011)
• Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar Award (Columbia University 2008)
• Burton Memorial Fellowship (Columbia University scholarship 2007)
• Prize for Trade Mark Law and Unfair Competition (Melbourne Law School)
• Vicki Huang, Kimberlee Weatherall and Elizabeth Webster, 'The Use of Survey Evidence in Australian Trade Mark and Passing Off Cases in Kenyon, Andrew T.; Loon, Ng-Loy Wee and Richardson, Megan (eds), The Law of Reputation and Brands in the Asia Pacific, Cambridge University Press, (2012), 181-202.
• James Pooley and Vicki Huang, ‘Multi-National Patent Litigation: Management of Discovery and Settlement Issues and the Role of the Judiciary' (2012) 22 Fordham Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal, 46.