Prof Wanlei Zhou
|Position:||Alfred Deakin Professor|
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Sci Eng & Built Env|
|Department:||School of Info Technology|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 925 17603 +61 3 925 17603|
Professor Wanlei Zhou received B.Eng and M.Eng degrees from Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China in 1982 and 1984, respectively, and a PhD degree from The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, in 1991, all in Computer Science and Engineering. He also received a DSc degree (a higher Doctorate degree) from Deakin University in 2002. He is currently the Alfred Deakin Professor (the highest honour the University can bestow on a member of academic staff) and Chair Professor in Information Technology, School of Information Technology, Deakin University. Before joining Deakin University, Professor Zhou served as a lecturer in University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, a system programmer in HP at Massachusetts, USA; a lecturer in Monash University, Melbourne, Australia; and a lecturer in National University of Singapore, Singapore. His research interests include distributed systems, network security, bioinformatics, and e-learning. Professor Zhou has published more than 300 papers in refereed international journals and refereed international conferences proceedings, including over 30 articles in IEEE journal in the last 5 years. He has also chaired many international conferences. Prof Zhou is a Senior Member of the IEEE.
- Jan 2015-present: Chair Professor of Information Technology, School of Information Technology, Deakin University.
Jan 2009-Jan 2015:
Chair Professor of Information Technology and Head, School of Information Technology,
May 2006 – Jan 2009:
Chair Professor of Information Technology and Associate Dean (International),
Faculty of Science and Technology, Deakin University
Jan. 2002 – Apr 2006:
Chair Professor of Information Technology and Head,
School of Information Technology, Deakin University
Professor Zhou was the General Chair / Program Committee Chair / Co-Chair of many international conferences, including TrustCom, ISPA, IUCC, CSS, ICA3PP, EUC, NSS, HPCC, PRDC, etc., and has been invited to deliver keynote address in a number of international conferences, including SKG, NSS, PDCAT, NSS, EUC, ICWL, CIT, ISPA, ICA3PP, etc.
Subjects and units currently teaching
- SIT704 Advanced Topics in Digital Security
- SIT382 System Security
- SIT222 Operating Systems
Distributed and Parallel Systems
Internet and Mobile computing
PhD Student Names & Thesis Title
Current PhD Students:
- Mr Faizal Riaz-ud-Din, PhD candidate, Topic: "Security in Clouds", He started in July 2012.
- Mr Yongqing Jiang, PhD candidate, Topic: "Computational Approaches of Protein Function Prediction Using Reliable High-throughput Data", He started in November 2012.
- Ms Jiaojiao Jiang, PhD candidate, Topic: "Security and Privacy in Online Social Networks", She started in October 2013.
- Ms Febrianti Widyahastuti, PhD candidate, Topic: "The Effectiveness of Different Social Media Implemented in the Institution and Small Business". She started in September 2014.
- Ms Mengmeng Yang, PhD candidate, Topic: “Modelling and Defence against the Propagation of Rumours in Online Social Networks”. She started in February 2015.
- Mr Kasra Majbouri Yazdi, PhD candidate, Topic: “Intelligent tutoring systems for tactical strategies”. He started in March 2015.
Graduated PhD Students:
So far I have sucessfully supervised 24 PhD students and 2 MSc by Research students in Deakin University.
- ARC Linkage Project LP0562156: 2005-2008, Wanlei Zhou and Wei Shi, "Protecting Web Services from Distributed Denial of Service Attacks".
- ARC Discovery Project DP0773264: 2007-2009, Wanlei Zhou and Yang Xiang, "Development of methods to address internet crime".
- ARC Linkage Project LP100100208, 2010-2012, Wanlei Zhou and Yang Xiang, "An active approach to detect and defend against peer-to-peer botnets".
- ARC Linkage Project LP100100816, 2010-2012, Wanlei Zhou and Robin Doss, "Secure and Efficient Communication in Vehicle-based Radio Frequency Identification Systems".
- ARC Discovery Project DP1095498, 2010-2012, Yang Xiang, Wanlei Zhou, and Yong Xiang, "Tracing real Internet attackers through information correlation".
- ARC Linkage Project LP120200266, 2012-2015, Yang Xiang, Wanlei Zhou, Vijay Varadharajan, and Jonathan Oliver, "Developing an active defence system to identify malicious domains and websites".
- ARC Discovery Project DP140103649, 2014-2016, Wanlei Zhou and Yang Xiang, "Modelling and defence against malware propagation".
- Distributed and parallel systems
- Network security
- Internet and mobile computing
Journal Publications in 2014:
- Yini Wang, Sheng Wen, Yang Xiang, and Wanlei Zhou, "Modeling the Propagation of Worms in Networks: A Survey", IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Volume:16, Issue: 2, 2014, pp 942-960.
- Saravanan Sundaresan, Robin Doss, Selwyn Piramuthu, and Wanlei Zhou, "A Robust Grouping Proof Protocol for RFID EPC C1G2 Tags", IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, VOL. 9, NO. 6, 2014, pp 961-975.
- Silvio Cesare, Yang Xiang, and Wanlei Zhou, "Control Flow-based Malware Variant Detection", IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, VOL. 11, NO. 4, JULY/AUGUST 2014, pp. 304-317.
- Sheng Wen, Wei Zhou, Jun Zhang, Yang Xiang, Wanlei Zhou, Weijia Jia, and Cliff C.Zou "Modeling and Analysis on the Propagation Dynamics of Modern Email Malware", IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, VOL. 11, NO. 4, JULY/AUGUST 2014, pp. 361-374.
- Yong Xiang, Iynkaran Natgunanathan, Song Guo, Wanlei Zhou, and Saeid Nahavandi, "Patchwork-Based Audio Watermarking Method Robust to De-synchronization Attacks", IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, VOL. 22, NO. 9, 2014. PP. 1413-1423.
- Yu Wang, Yang Xiang, Wanlei Zhou, Jun Zhang, "Internet traffic clustering with side information", Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Volume 80 (2014), Pages 1021-1036. Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcss.2014.02.008
- Tianqing Zhu, Yongli Ren, Wanlei Zhou, Jia Rong, Ping Xiong, "An Effective Privacy Preserving Algorithm for Neighborhood-based Collaborative Filtering", Future Generation Computer System, Volume 36 (2014), Pages 142-155.
- YongHong Tian, Shui Yu, Chin-Yung Lin, Wen Gao, and Wanlei Zhou, "Special Issue on Social Multimedia Computing: Challenges, Techniques, and Applications: Guest Editorial", Journal of Multimedia, Vol 9, No 1 (2014), pp. 1-3.
- Wei Zhou, Weijia Jia, Sheng Wen, Yang Xiang, Wanlei Zhou, "Detection and defense of application-layer DDoS attacks in backbone web traffic", Future Generation Computer System, Volume 38, 2014, Pages 36-46.
- Yongli Ren, Gang Li, Jun Zhang and Wanlei Zhou, "The Maximum Imputation Framework for Neighborhood-based Collaborative Filtering", Social Network Analysis and Mining (Springer), (2014) 4:207.
- Tianqing Zhu, Gang Li, Lei Pan, Yongli Ren, and Wanlei Zhou, "Privacy preserving collaborative filtering for KNN attack resisting", Social Network Analysis and Mining (Springer), (2014) 4:196.
- Sheng Wen, Jiaojiao Jiang, Yang Xiang, Shui Yu, and Wanlei Zhou, "Are the Popular Users Always Important for the Information Dissemination in Online Social Networks?" IEEE Network, pp. 64-67, September/October 2014.
- Theerasak Thapngam, Shui Yu, Wanlei Zhou, and S. Kami Makki, "Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) detection by traffic pattern analysis", Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications (Springer), Volume 7, Issue 4, December 2014, pp. 346-358.
- Yu Wang, Yang Xiang, Jun Zhang, Wanlei Zhou, Guiyi Wei, and Laurence Yang, "Internet Traffic Classification Using Constrained Clustering", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, VOL. 25, NO. 11, NOVEMBER 2014. pp. 2932-2943.
- Sheng Wen, Jiaojiao Jiang, Yang Xiang, Shui Yu, Wanlei Zhou and Weijia Jia, "To shut them up or to clarify: restraining the spread of rumours in Online Social Networks", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 3306-3316, 2014.