Prof Wei Duan
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Health|
|Department:||School of Medicine|
|Campus:||Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 52271149 +61 3 52271149|
Conferences and seminars
Invited addresses: 1. Wei Duan, A Novel Paradigm in Mammalian Cell Signaling, Signal TransductionTargets for effective therapeutics, Cambridge Healthtech Institute, Seaport Hotel, Boston, MA, USA, November 8-9, 2004. [My talk was reviewed in Rounding up the usual suspects: protein kinases as the therapeutic targets, S.B. Shears, Drug Discovery Today.10(4):240-242, 2005.] 2. Wei Duan, Signaling via a novel integral plasma membrane pool of protein kinase C, The Hunter Meeting of Cell Biology, Sydney, Australia, 6-8 April, 2005. 3. Wei Duan, Herbal Medicine In AustraliaTransforming Ancient Remedy With Nanotechnology, 59th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Varanasi-221 005, Uttar Pradesh, India, 20-23 December, 2007. 4. Wei Duan, Development of Molecular Medicine that Specifically Targets Protein Kinase C in Heart Failure, 10th South China International Congress of Cardiology, Dongfang Hotel, Guangzhou, China, 10-13, April, 2008. 5. Wei Duan, Targeted drug delivery using RNA aptamer and nanoparticlesthe miracle of nanomedicine for the 21st century. VII Thailand Research Fund (TRF) Annual Congress. October 16-18, 2008, Holiday Inn Resort Regent Beach, Cha-Am, Thailand. 6. Wei Duan, Aptamer therapeutics: the 21st centurys magic bullet of nanomedicine, Second International Conference on Drug Discovery and Therapy'. February 1-4, 2010. Dubai, United Arab Emirates. 7. Wei Duan, Nucleic acid aptamer: the pearl in the crown of nanomedicine for molecular imaging of cancer, The 4th International Symposium on Bioanalysis, Biomedical Engineering and Nanotechnology (ISBBN 2010), Hunan University in Changsha, Hunan, China (June 3-6, 2010). 8. Wei Duan, RNA Aptamer: The Next Generation of Cancer Stem Cell-targeted Molecular Imaging, BITs 9th Annual Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology --- Re-think Drug Innovations in Green-Eco Era (Session 7-1-2: Nucleic Acid Therapeutics), November 3-6, 2011, Shenzhen, China.
Professor Duan's research focuses on developing nucleic acid aptamer technology platforms for cancer biotechnology, focusing on cancer stem cell-targeted drug, siRNA and miRNA delivery using nanoparticles as well as aptamer-based molecular imaging for early detection of cancer and accurate staging. He heads a cross-disciplinary and translational research team consisting of cancer biologists, oncologists, molecular and cell biologists, material scientists, organic chemists, drug developers, pharmaceutical scientists and mechanical and electronic engineers across several faculties, research centres and teaching hospitals in Deakin. He is also involved in developing novel aptamer-based and microfluidic lab-on-a-chip devices for the application in biodefense, forensic medicine and rapid diagnostics at the point of care. He has published over 160 peer-reviewed original research papers and review articles in international refereed journals, with an h-index of 30 (average citation per article of 25). Professor Duan has filed 5 international patents on cancer stem related aptamers. He serves as the Editor-in-Chief for the journal “Drug Design, Development and Therapy” (https://www.dovepress.com/drug-design-development-and-therapy-journal).
Professors Duan has been frequently invited to address international conferences on biomedical research, drug development and molecular medicine.
6. Wei Duan, “Aptamer therapeutics: the 21st century’s magic bullet of nanomedicine”, Second International Conference on Drug Discovery and Therapy'. Feb 1-4, 2010. Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
8. Wei Duan, RNA Aptamer: The Next Generation of Cancer Stem Cell-targeted Molecular Imaging, BIT’s 9th Annual Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology, Nov 3-6, 2011, Shenzhen, China;
10. Wei Duan, RNA aptamer-guided nanodrug delivery for the 21st century cancer medicine, 6th Annual Meeting of the Australian chapter of the Controlled Release Society, Melbourne, Nov 26-27, 2012.
11. Wei Duan, “Aptamer-guided nano drug delivery systems for cancer therapy”, Nano- and Microparticle-based drug and vaccine delivery, The 6th Joint Australia-New Zealand chapters of the Controlled Release Society, Brisbane, July 4-5, 2013.
12. W. Duan, “The use of RNA aptamers for diagnosis: detecting low levels of EpCAM in paraffin embedded tissues“, Aptamer in Medicine and Perspectives, Oct 4-5, 2013, Naples, Italy.
13. D.Xiang. S. Shigdar, W. Duan, “Targeting cancer stem cells in vivo using RNA aptamers“, 16th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine/The 18th World Congress on Advances in Oncology, 10-12, October, 2013, Hotel Creta Maris Resort, Greece.
15. T Wang, S Shigdar, Wei Duan, “An aptamer-based siRNA in vivo delivery system targeting cancer stem cells, 5th FIP Pharmaceutical Sciences World Congress, Melbourne, Australia, April 13-16, 2014.
16. Shigdar S, Xiang D, Duan W. Aptamers as effective cancer stem cell targeting modalities. Aptamers- 2014, 24-25th March 2014, Oxford, UK. Aug 25-27, 2015.
17. Wei Duan, “Cancer stem cells targeted delivery of siRNA in vivo: translating Nobel Prize-winning technology to clinic”, 8th Dubai International Conference for Medical Sciences, Ded15-17, 2014, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
18. Wei Duan, “Cancer stem cell targeted delivery of siRNA to overcome induced chemoresistance”, European Pharma Congress, Aug 25-27, 2015, Valencia, Spain.
19. Wei Duan, “RNA aptamer-guided in vivo RNAi to overcome chemoresistance”, Health forum of the Silk Road-Int Summit Forum of Research and Development on Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ethnic Medicine, Oct 17-18, 2015, Kunlun Hotel, Urumuqi, Xingjiang, P.R. China.
Selected Published REVIEWS (2010-)
19. Y.C. Lim, A.Z. Kouzani, W. Duan. “Aptasensors: A Review”, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnolog, 6(2):93–105, 2010
20. S-M He, C G Li, F-Q Xing, J-P Li, E Chan, W. Duan, S-F Zhou, “Disposition Pathways and Pharmacokinetics of Herbal Medicines in Humans”, Current Medicinal Chemistry, 17(33):4072-4113, 2010.
21. Y.C. Lim, A.Z. Kouzani, W. Duan, "Lab-on-a-chip: A component view", Microsystem Technologies-Micro-And Nanosystems-Information Storage And Processing Systems 16(12) 1995-2015, 2010.
22. Sarah Shigdar, et al. & Wei Duan “Aptamer Therapeutics: The 21st Century’s Magic Bullet of Nanomedicine”, The Open Conference Proceedings Journal, 1:118-124, 2010.
23. Shigdar S, et al. & Wei M, Duan W. “Clinical applications of aptamers and nucleic acid therapeutics in haematological malignancies.” Br J Haematol. 155(1): 3-13, 2011.
24. Sarah Shigdar, et al. & Wei Duan, “Cancer stem cell targeting: the next generation of cancer therapy and molecular imaging”, Therapeutic Delivery, 3( 2): 227-244, 2012.
25. D. Mortazavi, et al. & W. Duan, “Developing Lspr Design Guidelines”, Progress in Electromagnetics Research, 126:203-235, 2012.
26. Jie Ni, Paul J Cozzi, Wei Duan, and Yong Li, “Role of the EpCAM (CD326) in prostate cancer metastasis and progression”, Cancer Metastasis Review, 31(3-4):779-91 2012.
29. Sarah Shigdar, et al. & Wei Duan, Aptamers as Theranostic Agents: Modifications, Serum Stability and Functionalisation, Sensors, 13(10): 13624-13637, 2013.
31. Sarah Shigdar, et al. & Wei Duan, Inflammation and cancer stem cells, Cancer Letters, 10;345(2):271-278. 2014.
32. Sarah Shigdar, Liang Qiao and Wei Duan, Aptamers and cancer therapy, World Journal of Cancer Research, 1:1-3, 2014.
33. ML O’Connora, et al. & Wei Duan, Cancer stem cells: a contentious hypothesis now moving forward, Cancer Letters, 44(2):180-187, 2014 (IF-4.23). PMID: 24333726.
34. Ni J, Cozzi P, Hao J, Duan W, Graham P, Kearsley JK and Li Y., Cancer Stem Cells in Prostate Cancer Chemoresistance, Current Cancer Drug Targets, 14, 225-240 , 2014.
35. Xiang, D, S Shigdar, G et al. & Wei Duan, Nucleic Acid Aptamer-Guided Cancer Therapeutics and Diagnostics: the Next Generation of Cancer Medicine, Theranostics, 5(1): 23-42, 2015.
36. George Wilson, Lionel Hebbard, Wei Duan*, Jacob George and Liang Qiao*, “Gene Therapy for Gastrointestinal and Liver Cancers: Past Experience, Current Status and Future Perspectives”, Current Gene Therapy, 15,(2), 93-96, 2015. *, co-corresponding authors.
37. Xiang D, et al. & Duan W. Aptamer-Mediated Cancer Gene Therapy, Current Gene Therapy, 15,(2), 109-19, 2015.
38. Wang T, et al. &, Duan W. “Cancer stem cell targeted therapy: progress amid controversies.”
Oncotarget. 2015 Oct 19.
39, Chen XW, Duan W, Zhou SF.”Repurposing paclitaxel for the treatment of fibrosis: indication discovery for existing drugs”. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2015 Sep 7;9:4869-71.
40. Chen XW, He ZX, et al. & Duan W, Zhou SF.,
Clinical pharmacology of dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitors indicated for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2015 Oct;42(10):999-1024.
41: Xiang D, et al. & Duan W. Nucleic acid aptamer-guided cancer therapeutics and diagnostics: the next generation of cancer medicine. Theranostics. 5(1):23-42, 2015.