Staff profile - Wes Obst
Mr Wes Obst
|Position:||Senior Lecturer |
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Phone:||+61 3 556 33282 +61 3 556 33282|
Wes Obst’s field of expertise is Taxation Law and he is the joint author of several texts which are widely used in the study of taxation law and agricultural management. He has also contributed the Law Book Company The Laws of Australia – Revenue Law – Superannuation Funds and Other Special Entities.
Mr Obst has been instrumental in developing, coordinating and teaching of a number of Taxation Law units in the Bachelor of Commerce and the Law Degrees. In 2011 Mr Obst was recognised for his teaching with the Faculty award Exemplars in Teaching Excellence and the Taxation Law Unit Team which he coordinated was nominated in 2012 for the Office of Learning and Teaching awards.
Mr Obst has contributed to the administration of the Faculty and University over the years in positions of Faculty Board Chair, BCom coordinator for the Law School, member of the School Management Team, member University Religious Affairs Committee and Coordinator Faculty Advanced Standing.
In addition to his academic career he has also acted as a consultant and author for the professional Advanced Taxation module offered by CPA Australia which is part of the qualification process for certified practicing accountants. Mr Obst also contributes to his local community in his position as company director and Chair Finance Committee for a not-for-profit organisation.
As well has his expertise in Taxation Law Mr Obst also has a background in Agricultural Science and before his lecturing position at Deakin University Law School he taught at Glenormiston Agricultural College where he contributed to the design and development of the Business Management course at the College.
- Diploma of Agricultural Science, Longerenong Agricultural Coll, 1970
- Bachelor of Business, Wbool Inst. of Advanced Edu., 1980
- Graduate Diploma of Taxation, Central Queensland University, 1991
Certified Practising Accountant,Member of the Taxation Institute of Australia
Subjects and units currently teaching
MLC301 Principles of Income Tax Law (Unit Chair)
MLC305 Business Taxation Law (Unit Chair)
Awards and prizes
- 2012: Nominated for Victorian OLT award (joint)
- 2011: Deakin VCs award: Deakin University Award for Teaching Excellence (Joint )
- 2010: Deakin Commendation for Excellence in Teaching
- 2008: Faculty of Business and Law. Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Faculty's Operational Plan for Student Support.
Not for profit entities
- Coleman, Cynthia*, Hanegbi, Rami, Hart, Geoffrey E.*, Jogarajan, Sunita*, Krever, Richard*, McLaren, John*, Obst, Wes and Sadiq, Kerrie* (2011) Principles of taxation law 2011, Thomson Reuters, Pyrmont, N.S.W. [A3]
- Coleman, Cynthia*, Hanegbi, Rami, Hart, Geoffrey*, Jogarajan, Sunita*, Krever, Richard*, McLaren, John*, Obst, Wes and Sadiq, Kerrie* (2010) Principles of taxation law 2010, Thomson Reuters, Sydney, N.S.W [A3]
- Obst, Wes and Hanegbi, Rami (2008) Successful tax study : a student's guide to tax research, study and exam techniques 2008-09, Thomson, Pyrmont, N. S. W. [A3]
- Obst, Wes, Graham, Rob* and Christie, Graham* (2007) Financial management for agribusiness, Landlinks Press, Collingwood, Vic. [A2]
- Obst, Wes and Hanegbi, Rami (2006) Successful tax study : a student's guide to tax research, study and exam techniques 2006-07, Thomson ATP, Sydney, N.S.W. [A3]
- Obst, Wes, Smith, David M. Smith and Hanegbi, Rami (2003) Successful tax study : a student's guide to tax research, study and exam techniques 2006-07, Australian Tax Practice, Pyrmont, N.S.W. [A3]
- Obst, Wes, Smith, David M. and Hanegbi, Rami (2002) Successful tax study : a student's guide to tax research, study and exam techniques 2002, Australian Tax Practice, Sydney, N.S.W. [A3]
- Obst, Wes, Smith, David M. Smith and Hanegbi, Rami (2001) Successful tax study : a student's guide to tax research, study and exam techniques, Australian Tax Practice, Pyrmont, N.S.W. [A3]
- Obst, W., Smith, D., Krever, R. and Hanegbi, R. (2000) Successful Tax Study: A Student's Guide to Tax Research, Study and Exam Techniques, New Ed., pp. 1-124, ATP, Sydney [A3]
- Obst, W., Graham, R.*, Binney, W.* and Christie, G.* (1999) Agribusiness: Financial Management, pp. 1-326, Federation Press, Sydney [A1]
- Obst, W., Smith, D. and Krever, R. (1999) Successful Tax Study 1999, pp. 1-156, ATP, Sydney [A2]
- Obst, W. (1999) Superannuation Funds and Other Special Entities-In-The Laws of Australia, pp. 7-57, The Law Book Company Ltd, Sydney [D1]
- Obst, W. (1996) Superannuation Funds and Other Special Entities, Laws of Australia - Revenue Law (31), pp. 1-46, The Law Book Company Ltd, Sydney [D1]
- Obst, W. and Smith, D. (1996) A Critical Analysis of Ed 5 - the Proposed Simplification of Trading Stock Provisions, Australasian Tax Teachers Conference [L2]