Staff profile - Xuan Nguyen
Dr Xuan Nguyen
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Business and Law|
|Department:||BL Deakin Business School|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 925 17798 +61 3 925 17798|
Xuan works in the areas of international trade and industrial organization. He has published extensively in these areas in refereed journals such as Applied Economics, Economics Letters, Economics of Transition, International Review of Economics and Finance, Review of International Economics, and The World Economy. Currently, he is undertaking research on topics related to international technology transfers, licensing, merger and acquisitions, parallel import, and intellectual property rights. Xuan is an active participant at the Australasian Development Economics Workshop, the Australasian Economic Theory Workshop, the Australasian Trade Workshop, and the Asia Pacific Trade Seminars. He co-organises the Trade and Development Workshop at Deakin University. He has served as a referee for Applied Economics, Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics, B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, Economic Modelling, Economics of Transition, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis, International Review of Economics and Finance, Japanese Economic Review, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Research in Economics, Review of International Economics, and The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development. Xuan was a fellow of the Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund, sponsored by the Tokyo Foundation.
- Econometrics Society
- Industrial organization
- International trade
- Development economics
Subjects and units currently teaching
- Economics for Managers
- International Banking and Finance
- International Trade
- Industrial Organization
- Applied Economics
- Economics Aspects of the Global Financial Crisis
- Trinh, T., Nguyen, X., and Sgro, P. (forthcoming). Determinants of non-life insurance expenditure in developed and developing countries: An empirical investigation, Applied Economics.
- Nguyen, X., Sgro, P., and Nabin, M. (forthcoming). Optimal licensing policy under vertical product differentiation, Review of Development Economics.
- Nguyen, X., Chao, C-C., Sgro, P.M., and Nabin, M. (in-press). Cross-border travellers and parallel trade: Implications for Asian economies, The World Economy.
- Pham, C.S., Nguyen, X., Sgro, P., and Tang, X. (in-press). Has China displaced its competitors in high-tech trade?, The World Economy.
- Nabin, M., Sgro, P.M., Nguyen, X., and Chao, C-C. (2016). State-owned enterprises, competition and product quality, International Review of Economics and Finance, 43, 200-209.
- Chao, C-C., Nabin, M., Nguyen, X., and Sgro, P.M. (2016). Wage inequality and welfare in developing countries: Privatization and reforms in the short and long run, International Review of Economics and Finance, 42, 474-483.
- Nguyen, X. (2015). On the efficiency of private and state-owned enterprises in mixed markets, Economic Modelling, 50, 130-137.
- Nguyen, X. (2014). Monopolistic third-degree price discrimination under vertical product differentiation, Economics Letters, 125, 153-155.
- Nabin, M.H., Nguyen, X., Sgro, P.M., and Chao, C.C. (2014). Strategic quality competition, mixed oligopoly and privatization, International Review of Economics and Finance, 34, 142-150.
- Nguyen, X., Sgro, P., and Nabin, M. (2014). Licensing under vertical product differentiation: Price vs. quantity competition, Economic Modelling, 36, 600-606.
- Nabin, M., Nguyen, X., and Sgro, P. (2013). Technology transfer, quality standards, and North-South trade, Review of International Economics, 21, 783-796.
- Nabin, M., Nguyen, X., and Sgro, P. (2013). On the relationship between technology transfer and economic growth in Asian economies, The World Economy, 36, 935-946.
- Xuan, N. and Xing, Y. (2008). Foreign direct investment and exports : The experiences of Vietnam, Economics of Transition, 16, 183-197.