Become a research degree student
Join the world’s best and brightest research professionals in our PhD Xtra program. Approximately 1,700 higher degree by research students are taking advantage of our exceptional facilities, strategic partnerships, innovative research centres and excellent reputation.
What is a research degree?
A research degree is the highest possible qualification a university can offer. The work of our research students is integral to Deakin's reputation and growth.
Whether it's a masters by research or doctorate, enrolling in a research degree will give you an invaluable opportunity to publish and present your work to a broader academic community and establish yourself within your chosen profession.
PhD Xtra - Be Expert
Join the world’s best and brightest research professionals in our new PhD Xtra program. Deakin offers all higher degree by research students an enhanced learning experience through an individual, flexible learning program tailored by the student.
Choose Deakin and make a difference
There are a multitude of reasons Deakin is the right choice for your research degree:
- Our PhD Xtra program offers you an enhanced learning experience through an individual, flexible learning program, tailored by you
- 89% of our research is rated at or above world-class (Excellence in Research for Australia 2015)
- we're in the top 2% in global rankings (according to all major international university rankings: Times Higher Education, QS and ARWU)
- we're the leader in graduate satisfaction in Victoria for the seventh consecutive year (in the Australian Graduate Survey (2010–15) and 2016 QILT survey)
- our supervisors are global leaders
- our broad international research footprint is continually growing.
Plus, as a Deakin research student you'll gain:
- qualifications that are respected and recognised throughout the world
- access to innovative research facilities
- formal recognition and acknowledgement of your achievements through a portfolio of assets.
Perhaps the Deakin dream is too good for me to wake up from? Nevertheless, it has shown me the doors of reality.
Deakin PhD candidate at the Institute for Frontier Materials
Find a supervisor
Finding the right supervisor to discuss research opportunities in your field is essential before you apply for a research degree.
Define your area of research and choose the relevant Deakin faculty, research centre or institute to search for the appropriate person to oversee your project.
Students wanting to enrol in a research degree at Deakin must have a demonstrated ability to undertake significant research in a defined area of interest. Research ability may be demonstrated in a variety of ways.
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about filling in a form – it's also about what you can bring to the Deakin community.
To be competitive for a research scholarship you'll need to have an H1 grade average or equivalent. Please see individual scholarship terms and conditions for further information.
What to expect
As a Deakin research student, you'll complete research training coursework, develop an individual learning plan and receive effective supervision to assist you in completing your thesis.
There are a number of key candidature milestones that all research students must achieve, as well as a suite of policies and procedures that should be acknowledged and adhered to.
How to apply
Use Deakin's online higher degree by research application form to apply for a research degree. You'll need to attach proof of citizenship, academic transcripts, a research proposal, referee reports and other certified documents.
Our research students come from 50+ countries
Almost one third of all Deakin's higher degree by research students are from overseas, making Deakin a truly diverse and globally significant centre of research.