The following MoUs have been signed for the Deakin India Research Initiative:
|Biocon||Bangalore||Research - 2 PhD students to be registered|
|BigTec||Bangalore||Research - 2 PhD students registered|
|VIMTA||Hyderabad||Research - 4 PhD students registered|
|Evolva||Hyderabad||Research - 1 PhD student to be registered|
|Shankara Nethralaya - Eye Research Foundation||Chennai||Research - 2 PhD students to be registered|
|The Energy Research Institute||Delhi||Research - 3 PhD students registered|
|TATA Steel||Jamshedpur||Research - 1 PhD student in Australia|
|Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology||Hyderabad||Research - 4 PhD students registered|
|Indian Institute of Chemical Technology||Hyderabad||Research - 4 PhD students to be registered|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Roorkee||Internships / Joint Research|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Kanpur||Internships / Joint Research|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Kharagpur||Internships / Joint Research|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai||Internships / Joint Research|
|National Institute Technology||Surathkal, Karnataka||Internships / Joint Research|
|University of Hyderabad||Hyderabad||Research - Teaching and Learning / Research|
The focus of all the above partnerships would be towards:
- Internships - Students from partner institutions may come to Deakin and complete an internship for a period of 3 to 6 months which would be assessed as their project work at home.
- Student Exchange - This activity provides students from both partners to study for a semester at the campus for which both parties do not charge a tuition fee and also recognizes that the studies undertaken by the student at the partner's campus.
- Faculty Exchange - Faculty members from partner institutions teach students from the partner institutions for a period.
- Study Tours - Cohort of students from a partner institution visits the other partner's country for various activities like studies, cultural exchange, cricket matches, debates etc. The tour may be based around a particular faculty, topic of study, a relevant event, etc.
- Seminars and Workshops - Deakin and Partner Institutions / Organisations agree to hold on a regular basis seminar and workshops on current issues for the benefit of students, professionals etc.
- Enrolment at Deakin University - All candidates from a partner company / institute are enrolled with Deakin University on fulfilling the enrolment criterion of the University. Thus enabling them to receive an international degree.
- Recognition of the Work in the company / institute labs towards the PhD - Deakin University recognizes the authentic, original research work being carried out in the labs of the partner companies / institutes by the research candidate nominated by the company / institute. The candidate can be an employee of the partner company.
- Program largely based in India - The Program is hosted in the labs of the Partner Company / institute. The candidate has to travel to Australia only for a small / limited period of time. Therefore, it brings down the cost of the program tremendously. Since the employee remains actively engaged with the company for the period of the PhD, this mechanism is being perceived by Indian companies as a wonderful talent retention tool.
- Protection of IPR - The IPR of the research is owned by the party that originates the idea. Also, due care is taken that the research work of the candidate does not go unrewarded / unrecognized. The interests of the candidate are paramount.
- International Degree - The candidate earns an International degree while working with the organization / studying at an Indian institute.
- Student Support and benefits - Based on the nature of the agreement, monetary benefits are provided to the candidate while he / she are undertaking the research degree program. Also, the research services division based out of India provides regular support to the Indian supervisor and candidate to assist compliance to norms and procedures.
- Supervisor visits - The supervisors maintain regular contact through e-mail, video conferencing and other means of communication. Apart from these, according to the nature of the project, there are regular visits of the supervisors to and from Deakin University.
- Seminars and Workshops - Deakin and Partner companies / institutes agree to hold on a regular basis seminar and workshops on current issues for the benefit of students, professionals etc.
- Bidding for grants - As and when applicable, Deakin and Partner Company / institutes go for joint bidding for research grants. Thus enabling the partner company to leverage the technical edge of Deakin University.
27th February 2015