Graphene coatings make steel corrosion-resistant
IFM researchers have grown graphene flakes directly onto stainless steel, improving the metal's resistance to corrosion.
New research to realise the sensor 'pipe dream'
A novel sensor is set to help extend the operational life of energy pipelines by decades.
Ion man receives Alfred Deakin Medal
Materials engineering researcher Anthony Somers has been awarded an Alfred Deakin Medal.
Arresting the corrosion factor
Deakin's new Corrosion Research Centre offers unique research access to Australia's critical infrastructure sectors.
Seeing a future in the pipeline
New National Facility for Pipelines Coating Assessment launched at Waurn Ponds.
- About us
- Our research
- Pipelines, Sensors and Monitoring
- Rare Earth and Ionic Liquid Inhibitors
- Functionalised coatings
- Biocorrosion and Degradation
- Our facilities
- Our people and publications
- Institute for Frontier Materials
Dr Timothy Khoo
Strategy and Industry Engagement
+61 (3) 924 46795
Energy Pipeline CRC Coatings
We have a range of cutting-edge equipment and facilities for corrosion and materials research, hosted at both the Burwood and Waurn Ponds campuses. These facilities are used to support our research programs and to provide services to government and industry.
To apply to use our facilities for your own research and testing, contact Dr Timothy Khoo.
- State of the art Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility for micro surface imaging and solution testing:
- Bruker AVANCE III 500 MHz wide bore.
- Bruker AVANCE III 500 MHz standard bore.
- Bruker AVANCE III 300 MHz wide bore.
- JEOL Eclipse+ 400MHz.
- JEOL EX 270 MHz.
- Large suite of advanced electrochemical facilities for general and localised corrosion testing and research studies:
- Potentiostats and impedance analysers.
- Scanning probes.
- Array electrode systems.
- Custom designed electrochemical and flow cells.
- Variety of surface characterisation equipment for materials imaging and analysis:
- Advanced Characterisation Facility
- Optical profilometer.
- ATR-FTIR spectrometer.
- Surface contact angle meter for coatings wettability and adhesion.
- Wear and tribology testing:
- Variable temperature Pin on Disk Tribometer.
- Reactors and autoclaves for corrosion testing in h
igh temperature, high-pressure and simulated corrosive environments
- Heat treatment and surface engineering facilities for metals and alloys surface modification:
- Oil and salt high-temperature baths.
- Fluid bed furnace.
- Analytical Instruments for chemical, physical and mechanical characterisation:
- Conductivity measurements.
- Karl Fisher titrator.
- Dynamic Mechanical Analyser.
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter.
- Synthetic laboratory for preparation and synthesis of novel chemical compounds and molecules.
- Access to world-class synchrotron and neutron facilities at the Australian Synchrotron and the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation.
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B