Graphene coatings make steel corrosion-resistant
IFM researchers have grown graphene flakes directly onto stainless steel, improving the metal's resistance to corrosion.
New research to realise the sensor 'pipe dream'
A novel sensor is set to help extend the operational life of energy pipelines by decades.
Ion man receives Alfred Deakin Medal
Materials engineering researcher Anthony Somers has been awarded an Alfred Deakin Medal.
Arresting the corrosion factor
Deakin's new Corrosion Research Centre offers unique research access to Australia's critical infrastructure sectors.
Seeing a future in the pipeline
New National Facility for Pipelines Coating Assessment launched at Waurn Ponds.
- About us
- Our research
- Pipelines, Sensors and Monitoring
- Rare Earth and Ionic Liquid Inhibitors
- Functionalised coatings
- Biocorrosion and Degradation
- Our facilities
- Our people and publications
- Institute for Frontier Materials
Dr Timothy Khoo
Strategy and Industry Engagement
+61 (3) 924 46795
Energy Pipeline CRC Coatings
National Facility for Pipeline Coating Assessment
We are an independent laboratory set up by the Energy Pipeline Cooperative Research Centre to perform oil and gas pipeline coating testing.
Our mission is to provide the Australian energy pipeline industry with an independent pipeline coating testing facility that has the capability and capacity required to fulfil the local needs.
- We can conduct testing to support pipeline coating selection and development.
- We are a commercial, independent coating test facility available for coating manufacturers, suppliers, applicators and end users of the pipeline industry in Australia.
- We support research into pipeline coatings and corrosion inhibitors.
- We can carry out standard tests such as ASTM, NACE, ISO, AS/NZS and other specific tests.
If you are interested in using our testing facility or collaborating with us please contact Davi Abreu on +61 (3) 522 73697 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can provide a large range of external pipeline coating tests and other customised tests as needed. If the test you need is not listed below, please contact us.
- Cathodic Disbondment (CD) resistance (AS4352, ASTM G8, ASTM G42, ASTM G80, NACE RP0394 Appendix F, BS EN 10289 Annex E)
- Coating flexibility (bending, traction, shear) (AS/NZS 3862 Appendix L, ASTM G10, ASTM G70, ASTM D522-93a, BS EN 10289 Annex K)
- Water resistance/permeation (AS/NZS 3862 Appendix K and O, AS 4822, ASTM D870, AS4321, ASTM D1735, NACE RP0394 Appendix J)
- Salt spray tests (AS 2331.3.1, ASTM G85, AS 2331.3.13)
- UV light and weathering resistance (ASTM G154, ASTM D4587, ASTM G151, ASTM G11, ASTM D1014)
- Cyclic Prohesion and humidit test (AS 2331.3.12, ASTM D5894, AS 2331.3.7, AS 2331.3.8)
- Impact tests (ASTM G14, AS 4822 Appendix D, AS 4321 Appendix I, BS EN 10289 Annex C)
- Indentation tests (AS 4822 Appendix E, AS 4321 Appendix E, BS EN 10289 Annex H)
- Adhesion tests and related tests (AS/NZS 3862 Appendix J, AS 7822 Appendix C, AS 4822 Appendix H and I, AS 2518 Appendix E, AS 4321 Appendix N, AS 3894.9, BS EN 10289 Annex D and G, ISO 4624)
- Thermal ageing resistance (AS 4822 Appendix J1, J2 and J3 BS EN 10289 Annex J).
- Abrasion resistance (ASTM D4060)
- Fusion-bonded epoxy coatings for pipelines: coating properties tests according to AS/NZS 3862:2002 and NACE RP0394-2002)
- NORSOK related tests
- Surface preparation and coating application
- Coating thickness measurement
- Soil resistivity measurement
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B