Science Academy honour for Maria Forsyth
Australian Laureate Fellow Prof Maria Forsyth has been elected to the Australian Academy of Science.
MRI provides key to unlock plastic crystal potential
Researchers at IFM have uncovered the reasons behind the variable conductivity of organic ionic plastic crystals.
Ion man receives Alfred Deakin Medal
Materials engineering researcher Anthony Somers has been awarded an Alfred Deakin Medal.
Electrolyte scientists dare to dream
The world's leading electrolyte scientists have converged in Geelong for ISPE-14.
Softening the impact
Cracking the cartilage riddle, Deakin scientists synthetically mimic the body's most complex lubrication system.
Dr Timothy Khoo
Strategy and Industry Engagement
+61 (3) 924 46795
Differential Scanning Calorimeters
The IFM research group has two types of Differential Scanning Calorimeters, heat flux (Netzsch) and power compensating (Perkin Elmer). These units are essential for the study of decomposition, phase change and melting points or metals and polymers.
Netzsch 407 PC Luxx
- Temperature range: -120°C ... 1650°C
- Heating and cooling rates: 0.01 K/min ... 50 K/min (dependent on furnace)
- Weighing range: 18000 mg
- TG resolution: 2 µg
- DSC resolution: 1 µW (dependent on sensor)
- Atmospheres: inert, oxidizing, reducing, static, dynamic
- Vacuum: tight assembly up to 10-2 mbar
- Induction: One theory and two practical sessions
Perkin Elmer Diamond
- DSC type: Power-compensation temperature null principle. Measures temperature and energy directly, rather than differential temperature (DT).
- DSC cell: ndependent dual furnaces constructed of platinum-iridium alloy with independent platinum resistance heaters and temperature sensors with furnace mass less than 1g.
- Temperature sensors: Distributed platinum resistance thermometers for best linearity.
- Atmosphere: Static or dynamic, including nitrogen, argon, helium, carbon dioxide, air, oxygen or other inert or active gases, over full temperature range. Oxygen can be used up to 730°C which allows easy cleaning.
- Temperature range: -170°C to 730°C.
Accuracy / Precision ±0.1°C / ±0.01°C
- Calorimetry: Accuracy / Precision <±1% / <±0.1%
Dynamic range 0.2µW to 800mW
- Isothermal digit (10 min) -150°C / 100°/c < 15 µW / < 10 µW
- Scanning rates: Heating / cooling 0.01°C to 500°C/min
- Temperature overshoot: 100°C/min<0.1°C
- Cooling times: Ambient coolant 725°C to 100°C (under 4 minutes)
- Liquid N2 coolant: 200°C to -150°C (under 2 minutes)
- Website: www.perkinelmer.com
- Supervising technician: Robert Pow
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B