High tech nanofibre deal for Deakin
A joint venture will provide a world-first short nanofibre manufacturing capability in Geelong.
IFM researchers are helping to make hydrogen extraction from water more feasible.
World's eye on unique water purification process.
Ground-breaker reaps another prize
The Smart Geelong Researcher of the Year Awards for 2013 recognise Weiwei Lei.
Deakin honoured in China.
Professor Ying (Ian) Chen
+61 3 522 73243
Nanomaterial and nanotechnology research are advancing rapidly and the area of one- and two-dimensional nanomaterials is at the cutting edge of research with huge impacts on clean energy, environmental protection and medical sciences.
Our groups have 20-year research expertise in:
- Boron nitride (BN) nanotubes from mass production to commercialisation.
- Synthesis of nanoparticles (0D), nanotubes and nanowires (1D), nanosheets and graphene (2D) and nanocomposites (3D).
- Advanced characterisation techniques including TEM, EELS, SEM, FIB, Synchrotron, AFM, and PL.
- Fabrication techniques including high-energy ball milling, chemical vapour deposition (CVD), magneto sputtering, sol-gel and molten salt processes.
- Optical, mechanical, chemical and electrochemical property testing.
- Nanotube/nanosheet reinforced metal composites.
- Water resource protection by removing solvents, dyes and other contaminants.
- Oil spill cleaning-up on land and sea with porous white graphene.
- Drug delivery using nanotubes.
- Weiwei Lei,Si Qin, Dan Liu, David Portehault, Zongwen Liu and Ying Chen, “Large scale boron carbon nitride nanosheets with enhanced lithium storage capabilities”, Chem. Commun.,49 (2013) 352-354.
- Ling Li, Lu Hua Li, Ying Chen, Xiujuan J. Dai, Peter R. Lamb, Bing-Ming Cheng, Meng-Yeh Lin and Xiaowei Liu, “High Quality Boron Nitride Nanoribbons: Unzipping during Nanotube Synthesis”, Angewandte Chemie International Edition,52(15) (2013) 4212-4216.
- Weiwei Lei, David Portehault, Dan Liu, Si Qin and Ying Chen, "Porous Boron Nitride Nanosheets for Effective Water Cleaning", Nature Communications, 4 (2013) 1777.
- Qiao Sun, Zhen Li, Debra J Searles, Ying Chen, Gaoqing (Max) Lu and Aijun Du. Charge-Controlled Switchable CO2 Capture on Boron Nitride Nanomaterials, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 135 (2013) 8246-8253.
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B