IFM staff list
Aprof Jagat Kanwar
Associate Professor of Immunology / Cell Biology
+61 3 522 71148
03 5227 1103
Assoc Prof Kanwar research aims are to discover treatments for multiple sclerosis as well as cancer and chronic inflammatory diseases, in particular asthma and inflammatory bowel disease. He is working on nanotechnology based peptide, siRNA and miRNA delivery for targeting survivin (currently most attractive cancer target), HIF-1α and apoptotic cell signalling molecules expression in the cancers and inflammations. For commercial funded grants his research group carries out research in the areas of bioactives as immunomodulators, their role in bone, muscle development and osteoarthritis. His publications have added to the body of knowledge in the fields of nanobiotechnology, cancer gene therapy, cell biology and immunology. Kanwar's research work generated in total of 8 patent/PCTs with two provisionals in preparation. Five of these patents have been licensed for commercialization to biotech companies Antisoma, NeuronZ, Neuren Pharmaceuticals and Fonterra.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Dept. of Experimental Medicine & Biotechnology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India.
- Masters of Science, College of Basic Sciences & Humanities, PAU Ludhiana, Punjab, India
- Bachelor of Science (Medical), Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, India.
Relevant employment history:
- March 2006 - ongoing: Associate Professor of Immunology & Cell Biology, Institute of Technology Research and Innovation, Deakin University, Australia
- Jan 2002: Senior Scientist/Senior Research Fellow, The University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ
- Jan 1997: Research Fellow, The University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- *Kanwar JR, Palmano KP, Sun X, Kanwar RK, Gupta R, Haggarty N, Rowan A, Ram S, Krissansen GW. (2008) 'Iron-saturated' lactoferrin is a potent natural adjuvant for augmenting cancer chemotherapy. Immunol Cell Biol. 86(3):277-288. (Impact factor: =2.5)
- *Kanwar RK, Macgibbon AK, Black PN, Kanwar JR, Rowan A, Vale M, Krissansen GW. (2008) Bovine milk fat enriched in conjugated linoleic and vaccenic acids attenuates allergic airway disease in mice. Clin Exp Allergy. 38(1):208-218. (Impact factor: =3.66)
- *Krissansen GW, Singh J, Kanwar RK, Leung E, Lehnert KB, Kanwar JR and Yang Y(2006). A pseudosymmetric cell adhesion regulatory domain in the β7 tail of the integrin α4β7. European Journal of Immunology 36(8):2203-2214.
- Luo L, Qiao H, Meng F, Dong , Zhou , Jiang H, Kanwar JR, Krissansen GW, Sun X (2006). Arsenic Trioxide synergizes with B7H3 immunotherpay to eradicate hepatocellular carcinomas. International Journal of Cancer. 118(7):1823-1830. 41.
- Sun X, Qiao H, Jiang H, Zhi X, Liu F, Wang J, Liu M, Dong D, Kanwar JR, Xu R, Krissansen GW (2005). Intramuscular delivery of antiangiogenic genes suppresses secondary metastases after removal of primary tumors.Cancer Gene Therapy 12(1):35-45.
- *Kanwar JR, Kanwar RK, Krissansen GW (2004). Simultaneous neuroprotection and blockade of inflammation reverses autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Brain 127(6): 1313-1331.
- *Kanwar JR, Berg RW, Yang Y, Kanwar RK, Ching LM, Sun X and Krissansen GW(2003). Requirements for ICAM-1 immunogene therapy of lymphoma. Cancer Gene Therapy 10: 468-476.
- Sun X, Kanwar JR, Leung E, Vale M and Krissansen GW (2003). Regression of solid tumors by engineered overexpression of von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor protein and antisense hypoxia-inducible factor-1. Gene Therapy 10: 2081 - 2089.
- Sun X, Vale M, Leung E, Kanwar JR, Gupta R, and Krissansen G W (2003). Mouse B7-H3 induces antitumor immunity Gene Therapy 10:1728 - 1734.
- *Leung E, Kanwar RK, Kanwar JR and Krissansen GW (2003). Mucosal vascular addressin cell adhesion molecule-1 is expressed outside the endothelial lineage on fibroblast and melanoma cells. Immunology and cell Biology 81(4): 320-327.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Aprof Jagat Kanwar
Select another contact