IFM staff list
Dr Barnett is designing the microstructure of new metal alloys to give enhanced properties. He is particularly interested in manipulating the microstructure to give improved ductility. This requires control over features spanning size scales from small clusters of atoms to meso-crystallographic features up to 1 mm in length. Metals with optimized ductility are more readily manufactured, resist fracture and last longer under mechanical loading. His main strengths are in sheet steels and magnesium alloys. He is also carrying out research into metal particle composites and nano-crystalline electrodeposits.
- PhD, Metallurgy (McGill University, Canada - 1997)
- BEng. Metallurgy (RMIT, Melbourne - 1994)
Relevant employment history:
- 2006 - present: Associate Professor, Centre for Material and Fibre Innovation, Deakin University
- 2003 - 2006: Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Material and Fibre Innovation, Deakin University
- 1999 - 2003: Research Fellow, School of Engineering and Technology, Deakin University
- 1997 - 1999: Research Engineer, BHP Research
- 1989 - 1994: Metallurgy Trainee, BHP Steel
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- Stanford, N., G. Sha, A. La Fontaine, M.R. Barnett, and S.P. Ringer, Atom Probe Tomography of Solute Distributions in Mg-Based Alloys. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 2009. 40A(10): p. 2480-2487.
- Stanford, N. and M.R. Barnett, Effect of particles on the formation of deformation twins in a magnesium-based alloy. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2009. 516(1-2): p. 226-234.
- Malet, L., M.R. Barnett, P.J. Jacques, and S. Godet, Variant selection during the [gamma]-to-[alpha]b phase transformation in hot-rolled bainitic TRIP-aided steels. Scripta Materialia, 2009. 61(5): p. 520-523.
- Hutchinson, B., M.R. Barnett, A. Ghaderi, P. Cizek, and I. Sabirov, Deformation modes and anisotropy in magnesium alloy AZ31. International Journal of Materials Research, 2009. 100(4): p. 556-563.
- Beer, A.G. and M.R. Barnett, The post-deformation recrystallization behaviour of magnesium alloy Mg-3Al-1Zn. Scripta Materialia, 2009. 61(12): p. 1097-1100.
- Barnett, M.R., A. Sullivan, and R. Balasubramaniam, Electron backscattering diffraction analysis of an ancient wootz steel blade from central India. Materials Characterization, 2009. 60(4): p. 252-260.
- Barnett, M.R., A. Ghaderi, I. Sabirov, and B. Hutchinson, Role of grain boundary sliding in the anisotropy of magnesium alloys. Scripta Materialia, 2009. 61(3): p. 277-280.
- Barnett, M.R., P. Cizek, M. Nave, A. Sullivan, and R. Balasubramaniam, Cobblestone mesotexture in a nanocrystalline Ni-20Fe electrodeposit. Scripta Materialia, 2009. 60(8): p. 603-606.
- Stanford, N., U. Carlson, and M.R. Barnett, Deformation Twinning and the Hall-Petch Relation in Commercial Purity Ti. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2008. in press.
- Stanford, N. and M.R. Barnett, The origin of "rare earth" texture development in extruded Mg-based alloys and its effect on tensile ductility. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2008. 496(1-2): p. 399-408.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Prof Matthew Barnett
Select another contact