IFM staff list
Dr Matthias Weiss
+61 3 522 73368
Dr Weiss has been involved in sheet metal forming research for the last 8 years and has managed and expanded the sheet material testing facilities at IFM since 2003. His current research focus is the experimental and numerical investigation of the behaviour of sheet materials in forming. This includes the development of advanced material models and testing methods to understand the effect of microstructure on formability and to improve the representation of material behaviour in numerical models. Over the last two years Dr Weiss has established, at the Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM), one of the world's largest roll forming research groups (including five PhD students) that includes Australia`s most advanced roll forming research facility. The group has recently developed a new experimental test method that combined with inverse analysis generates material input data that leads to improved accuracy of numerical models of roll forming processes.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Material Sciences and Manufacturing (2007), Deakin University, Australia
- Dipl. Ing. Metallurgy and Material Science (2002), RWTH-Aachen University, Germany
- Diploma of the production and processing of materials (2000), Universite de Metz, France
Relevant employment history:
- 2007 - Present: Deakin University, Institute for Frontier Materials , Geelong, Victoria, Research Fellow (Level B, Step 4)
- 2007 - 2010: Applied Research and Development, Torquay, Victoria, Mechanical Engineer (part time)
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- A.S. Taylor, M. Weiss, T. Hilditch, N. Stanford, P.D. Hodgson, Formability of cryo-rolled aluminium in uniaxial and biaxial tension (2012) Materials Science and Engineering A, 555, pp.148 - 153 (Impact factor: 1.901).
- C. K.S. Moy, M. Weiss, J. Xia, G. Sha, S. P. Ringer, G. Ranzi, Influence of heat treatment on the microstructure, texture and formability of 2024 aluminium alloy (2012) Materials Science and Engineering A, 552, pp. 48-60 (Impact factor: 1.901).
- M. Weiss, B. Rolfe, P.D. Hodgson, C. Yang, Effect of Residual Stress on the Bending of Aluminium (2012) Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212 (4), pp. 877-883 (Impact factor: 1.567).
- M. Weiss, E. Hemmerich, P.D. Hodgson, B.F. Rolfe, Effect of thermal treatment on the bending properties of pre-strained carbon steel (2011) Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (13-14), pp. 4528-4536. (Impact factor: 1.901).
- E. Hemmerich , B.F. Rolfe, P.D. Hodgson, M. Weiss, The effect of pre-strain on the material behaviour and the Bauschinger effect in the bending of hot rolled and aged steel (2011) Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (9), pp. 3302-3309. (Impact factor: 1.901).
- C. Nikhare, P.D. Hodgson and M. Weiss, Necking and fracture of advanced high strength steels (2011) Materials Science and Engineering A, 528 (6), pp. 3010-3013. (Impact factor: 1.901).
- C. Nikhare, M. Weiss and P.D. Hodgson, Die closing force in low pressure tube hydroforming (2010) Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 210 (15), pp. 2238-2244. (Impact factor: 1.567).
- C. Nikhare, M. Weiss and P. D. Hodgson, FEA comparison of high and low pressure tube hydroforming of TRIP steel (2010) Computational Materials Science, 47 (1), pp. 146-152. (Journal impact factor: 1.522).
- M. Weiss, M.E. Dingle, B.F. Rolfe, P.D. Hodgson The influence of temperature on the forming of metal/polymer laminates in sheet forming (2007) Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 129 (4), pp. 530-537. (Impact factor: 0.815).
- M. Weiss, B.F. Rolfe, M. Dingle, J.L. Duncan Elastic Bending of Steel-Polymer-Steel (SPS) Laminates to a Constant Curvature (2006) Journal of Applied Mechanics (ASME), 73 (4), pp. 574-579, (Journal impact factor: 0.915).
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Dr Matthias Weiss
Select another contact