IFM staff list
Dr Mandy de Souza
Res. Fellow - Out-of-Autoclave Comp
+61 3 522 73203
Dr de Souza's primary research focus is out-of-autoclave composites for both the automotive and aerospace industries. She currently holds a Research Fellow position working on nine projects with the Advanced Manufacturing CRC project in collaboration with Quickstep Technologies, which investigates out-of-autoclave cured composites for use in the aerospace industry and the evaluation of the Quickstep process related materials including the bladder, heat transfer fluid and tray components. The work completed in her previous position and PhD thesis investigated the effect of out-of-autoclave curing and material selection on the as-moulded, painted and aged carbon fibre composite surface finish. In 2011, Dr de Souza was awarded a Victoria Fellowship by the Victorian Government that will allow her to visit leading automotive and composite organisations in Europe and the United States to establish new relationships and collaborations for her work on surface finish.
- Surface finish of automotive composite Class A surfaces
- Evaluation of Quickstep cured aerospace composites including honeycomb structures
- at transfer fluid and tray performance
- PhD (Deakin University, Australia - 2009)
- BEng (Hon) (Deakin University, Australia - 2004)
Relevant employment history:
- 2009 - present: Research Fellow in Out-of-Autoclave Composites, Deakin University
- 2009: Research Fellow in Automotive Composites, Deakin University
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- M.L. Herring, B.L. Fox, The effect of a rapid curing process on the surface finish of a carbon fibre epoxy composite. Composites: Part B, 2011; 42:1035-1043.
- M.L. Herring, J.I. Mardel, B.L. Fox, The effect of material selection and manufacturing process on the surface finish of carbon fibre composites. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2010; 210(6-7):926-940.
- M.L. Herring, G.L. Kelly, J.I. Mardel, J.H. Hodgkin, B.L. Fox, Surface analysis of carbon fibre composite laminates for automotive body panels. Proceedings of ACUN-5, UNSW, Sydney, Australia, 11-14 July, 2006. p. 590-595.
- M.L. Herring, G.L. Kelly, J.I. Mardel, B.L. Fox, Surface analysis of environmentally exposed painted composites manufactured from Quickstep and autoclave processes. Proceedings of 26th SAMPE Europe International Conference, Paris, France, 5-7 April, 2005. p. 220-225.
- M.L. Herring, G.L. Kelly, J.I. Mardel, M.A. Forrest, H. Law, B.L. Fox, Composites for automotive body panels, Materials Australia, 38(2), 2005, p. 12-13.
- M.L. Herring, G.L. Kelly, J.I. Mardel, B.L. Fox, Quickstep and composites for automotive body panels, Proceedings of 3rd National Steel Conference, Geelong, Australia, 24-25 February, 2005.
- B. Fox, T. Corbett, B. Everaert, M. Herring, C. Hurren, B. Nuhiji, Evaluation of a new hemp composite: properties and processing conditions, in David Hui (ed.), ICCE-10, 10th International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, University of New Orleans, United States, 2003, p. 193-194.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Dr Mandy de Souza
Select another contact