IFM staff list
Professor Chen is the Node Head and Program leader of ARC Centre of Excellence for Functional Nanomaterials. His invention of the ball-milling and annealing method for the mass production of nanotubes and nanowires has made a significant impact on various applications. His current research interests include:
- Nanomaterials synthesis using ball milling and annealing and other methods
- Structures and properties of nanotubes, nanowires, nanorods, nanoparticles and graphene
- Boron nitride nanotubes for advanced composite, DUV light emission, and desalination applications
- Nano-batteries, super-capacitors and solar cells
- Bio and medical applications of nanomaterials
- PhD, University of Paris XI, Orsay, France (1992)
- B.Sc (Hon), Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (1986)
Relevant employment history:
- 2009-present: Chair in Nanotechnology, Institute for Technology Research and Innovation, Deakin University, Victoria
- 1993-2009: Associate Professor/Fellow, Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering, the Australian National University, Canberra
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- Li, Jia; Zhou, Gang; Chen, Ying; Gu, Bing-Lin; Duan, Wenhui, Magnetism of C adatoms on BN nanostructures: implication for functional nanodives, Journal of the American Chemical Society,131 (5) (2009) 1796-1801.
- Gianni Ciofan, Vittoria Raff, Jun Yu, Ying Chen, Yosuke Obata, Shinji Takeoka, Arianna Menciassi, and Alfred Cuschieri, Boron Nitride Nanotubes: A Novel Vector for Targeted Magnetic Drug Delivery, Current Nanoscience Volume 5, Number 1 (2009) pages 33-38.
- A.J. Du, Z.H. Zhu, C.H. Sun, Y. Chen, G.Q. Lu and Sean C. Smith, Half metallicity in a zigzag double-walled nanotube nanodot: An ab initio prediction, Chemical Physics Letters, Volume 468, Issues 4-6, 22 January 2009, Pages 257-259.
- Li, Jia; Zhou, Gang; Chen, Ying; Gu, Bing-Lin; Duan, Wenhui, Magnetism of C adatoms on BN nanostructures: implication for functional nanodives, Journal of the American Chemical Society 131 (5) (2009) 1796-1801.
- A. J. Du, Y. Chen, Z. H. Zhu, G. Q. Lu and Sean C. Smith, C-BN Single Walled Nanotubes with Novel Properties from Hybrid Connection of BN/C Nanoribbons: Prediction by ab initio Density Functional Calculations, Journal of the American Chemical Society as rapid communications 131(5) (2009) 1682-1683.
- Lu Hua Li, Ying Chen, Meng-Yeh Lin, Alexey M Glushenkov and Bing-Ming Cheng, Single deep ultraviolet light emission from boron nitride nanotube film, Applied Physics Letters 97 (2010) 141104.
- Yu, Jun; Chen, Ying; Glushenkov, Alexey, Titanium Oxide Nanorods Extracted From Ilmenite Sands, Crystal Growth & Design, 9 (2009) 1240-1244.
- Alexey M. Glushenkov, Denisa Hulicova-Jurcakova, David Llewellyn, Gao Qing Lu and Ying Chen, Structure and Capacitive Properties of Porous Nanocrystalline VN Prepared by Temperature-Programmed Ammonia Reduction of V2O5, Chemistry of Materials, 22 (2010) 914-921.
- Lu Hua Li and Ying Chen, "Superhydrophobic Properties of Nonaligned Boron Nitride Nanotube Films", Langmuir, 26(7) (2010) 5135-5140.
- Lu Hua Li, Ying Chen and Alexey M. Glushenkov, "Boron nitride nanotube films grown from boron ink painting", Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20(43) (2010) 9679-9683. (FRONT COVER)
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Prof Ying (Ian) Chen
Select another contact