IFM staff list
Dr. Kafi's research interests include sizing and surface characterisation of carbon fibres, structure-property relationship in oxidised/carbonised PAN, and surface-property relationships in fibre reinforced composites.
Kafi is currently involved in several projects associated with contact angle and surface energy study of chemical/plasma functionalized carbon fibre, green natural fibre, and carbon nanotubes. He has led a successful bid for Deakin University?s competitive RESS scheme for AFFRIC: "Surface Energy Analyser (SEA) for Characterisation of Fibres / Polymers / Composites / Powders" $90,000.
- PhD, Fibres and Composites (Deakin University, Australia - 2010)
- BEng, Chemical (SUST, Bangladesh - 2004)
Relevant employment history:
- 2011 - Present: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Deakin University
- 2010 - 2011: Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Deakin University
- 2009 - 2010: Tutor, Deakin University
- 2004 - 2005: Research Assistant, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- Scholarly Book Chapter: Abdullah A. Kafi, and Bronwyn L. Fox, "Enhancing the Fiber-Matrix Adhesion in Woven Jute Fabric Reinforced Polyester Resin based Composite", Contact angle, Wettability and Adhesion, 2009, Vol 6, pp.377-390, K. L. Mittal (Ed.), VSP, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Refereed Journal Articles: Abdullah A. Kafi, Zhiqiang Chen, Xiujuan J. Dai, Bronwyn L. Fox, Peter R. Lamb, and Xungai Wang, Understanding Wettability Changes from Practical Plasma Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters. Accepted for Publication, 2011
- Abdullah A. Kafi, Kevin Magniez and Bronwyn L. Fox, "A Surface-Property Relationship of Atmospheric Plasma Treated Jute Composites",2011, Article in press, 10.1016/j.compscitech.2011.07.011, Journal of Composites Science and Technology
- Abdullah A. Kafi, Kevin Magniez, and Bronwyn L. Fox, "Effect of manufacturing process on the Flexural, Mode-I and Thermo-mechanical properties of Bio-Composites", 2011, 42, 993-999 Composites Part A-Applied Science And Manufacturing
- Abdullah A. Kafi, Kevin Magniez, Claudio Cinquemani, and Bronwyn L. Fox, "Influence of Atmospheric Helium Plasma on the Surface Energy of Jute Fibres and the performance of resulting Composites", 2011, Article in Press, DOI:10.1163/016942411X569363, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- Abdullah A. Kafi and Bronwyn L. Fox, "Adhesion Force Measurement on Natural Fibre Surface Using Scanning Probe Microscopy", 2011, Article in Press, DOI:10.1163/016942411X569381, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- Abdullah A. Kafi, Christopher J. Hurren, Mickey G. Huson, and Bronwyn L. Fox "Analysis of the effects of atmospheric helium plasma on the surface structure of jute fibers and resulting composite properties", 2009, 23, 2109-2120, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- Abdullah-Al-Kafi, M.Z.Abedin, D.H.Beg, K.L.Pickering and M.A.Khan "Study on the Mechanical Properties of Jute/Glass Fiber Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester Hybrid Composites: Effect of Surface Modification by Ultraviolet Radiation", 2006, 25(1), 575-588, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites
- Mubarak A. Khan, N.Haque, Abdullah Al-Kafi, M. N. Alam, M. Z. Abedin "Jute Reinforced Polymer Composite by Gamma Radiation: Effect of Surface Treatment with UV radiation", 2006, 45(5), 607-613, Polymer-plastics technology and engineering
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Dr Abdullah Kafi
Select another contact