IFM staff list
Prof John Duncan
Professor Duncan's research has been in the stability of sheet metal in stretching and bending, in analytical modelling of the common sheet forming processes, the development of methods of obtaining stress strain curves by hydraulic bulge testing, and in determining, with J P Duncan, the fundamental theorems relating to folding of developable surfaces. His association with Deakin University was originally with the STAMP program and recently he has concentrated on cold roll forming research.
Honours and awards:
Fellow, American Society for Metals, 1985; Honorary Professor, University of Science and Technology, Beijing, 1984, North Eastern University, Shenyang, 1992, Deakin University, 2010, Wilson Medal, Deakin 2009. Professor Emeritus, 1998, The University of Auckland, New Zealand.
A text book based largely on the work of Professor Z Marciniak - Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming, Z Marciniak, J L Duncan and S J Hu was published by Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, in 2002. A general interest book on the design of the Model T Ford: "Any colour - so long as it's black" Exisle Publishing Ltd. Australia, was published in 2008; a Chinese language edition will be published by the Chinese Metallurgical Society in 2012.
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (1956), University of Melbourne, Australia.
- MSc. Technology (1963), University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Doctor of Philosophy (1968), University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Doctor of Science (hon. caus.) (2011) Deakin University.
Relevant employment history:
- 1961 - 1970: University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. Position - Assistant Lecturer - Senior Lecturer
- 1970 - 1986: McMaster University, Canada. Position - Professor
- 1986 - 1998: The University of Auckland, New Zealand. Position - Professor
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- J. L Duncan and W Johnson, Plastic deformation and failure of thin square diaphragms, Int. J. Mech. Sci., vol 10, 157, 1968.
- W Johnson, T Y M Al-Naib and J L Duncan, Superplastic forming techniques and strain distributions in a Zn-Al alloy, J. Institute of Metals, vol 100, 45, 1972.
- H van Minh, R Sowerby and J L Duncan, Probabilistic model of limit strains in sheet metal, Int. J. mech. Sci., vol. 17 339, 1975.
- J L Duncan, B S Shabel and J Gerbase Filho, A tensile test for evaluating friction in sheet metal forming, SAE paper, 0148-7191/78/0227-0391, 1978
- J D Embury and J L Duncan, Formability maps, Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci., 1981, 11.501.
- R F Young, J E Bird, and J L Duncan, An automated hydraulic bulge tester, J Applied Metalworking, vol. 2, 11, 1981.
- J P Duncan and J L Duncan, Folded developables, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 383, 191, 1982.
- J L Duncan, N Sue-Chu and X J Wang, Instability in plastic bending of thin sheet metal, Mechanical Behaviour of Metals IV: Proc.4th Int. Conf. Stockholm, 1983, 631.
- W F Hosford and J L Duncan, The aluminum beverage can, Scientific American, September, 1994, vol. 271, 34, September, 1994, vol. 271, 34
- Automotive Manufacturing Trends in China and Other Countries, X J Wang, J L Duncan et al., Int. Symp. on Automotive Steel, CSM, Dalian, China, 2009.
Select another contact