Deakin Research

Deakin Research

Do I require animal ethics approval?

Any staff or student at Deakin University, who intends on using animals for research or teaching, must obtain approval from the Animal Ethics Committee (AEC). Approval must be obtained prior to commencing the project.

The following animals require AEC Approval:

  • any live non-human vertebrate (including mammals, fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians)

  • adult decapod crustaceans (crabs, lobster and crayfish only)

  • cephapopds (such as octopus and squid)

Researchers are required to submit a New AEC Application to the AEC Office before the application closing date.

Working off-campus or at another institution:

Any Deakin University staff or students who intends on intiating or collaborating in work off-campus, must complete an ‘Request to Work on External Project’ and submit it to the AEC Office.

Widlife Studies

Research involving wildlife may require approval and permits from other authorities, in addition to AEC approval. The use of wildlife in research and teaching is regulated by the Wildlife Act 1975, which may impose specific requirements on projects depending on the nature and location of the research. Further information on wildlife research is available from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) websites.

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

12th August 2013