Stemming the science 'brain drain'
Deakin seeks to reverse the flow away from maths and science in high schools.
- About us
- Vision Statement
- Our members
- Our Research
- Science, mathematics, environmental and health education for sustainable communities
- Pedagogy, cultures and professional engagement
- Governance, policy and educational leadership
- Major Research Projects
- Partnerships and engagement
- Events and Conferences
Ms Carmel Wilde
CREFI Project Coordinator
+61 (3) 5227 2197
Intensive Interaction Theory to Practice 2015
Deakin University offers the only accredited training in Intensive Interaction outside the UK.
What is Intensive Interaction?
- an approach to teaching the pre-speech fundamentals of communication to children and adults who have complex intellectual difficulties and/or autism and who are still at an early stage of communication development
- a practical approach to interacting with people with learning disabilities who do not find it easy communicating or being social
- an approach to developing the ability and desire to communicate and participate in social interactions.
Who would benefit from the program?
People who are working or training to work with people who have complex intellectual disablitites.
This unit explores theoretical and practical aspects of Intensive Interaction. Topics include observation techniques, responding interactively, recognising progress, self evaluation and video analysis, as well as perspectives of attitudes towards people with intellectual disabilities. The unit also examines the critical perspectives and developments in psychology and learning that underpin the approach, and reflects on successful approaches to embedding the use of Intensive Interaction in a school, or service setting.
- To enhance understanding of parent-infant interaction and the evidence that supports the use of intensive interaction
- To recognise the features of intensive interaction and be able to use a range of strategies to respond to an individual’s communicative attempts
- To effectively manage record-keeping procedures and documentation and to use video to monitor learner progress and identify increases in communicative involvement
- To analyse the practice of others and provide support; and also to be able to self evaluate one's skills and techniques in intensive interaction
- To enhance skills and knowledge in setting up an intensive interaction programme in their current setting
None required. However, participants who apply for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) to accrue 1 credit point towards a Masters of Education unit will need to:
- satisfactorily complete assessments tasks after the course finishes (additional assessment task fee of $250);
- have daily professional contact with learners with complex intellectual disabilities.
If you wish to register your interest in the course please - Email: email@example.com or Phone: 03 9251 7331 with your contact and email details.
Course Dates - 2015 tbc
Application due date:By Friday 28 November, 2015
Dates: 8 days on campus
Phase 1: 3 days - 13, 14, 15 January, 2015
Phase 2: 2 days - 21, 22, February, 2015
Phase 3: 3 days - 8,9,10 April, 2015
Time: 9:00am to 4:00pm
Contact Daphanie Teo on 03 9251-7331
Course fees - $700
To book a place in the course please complete the application form with your full payment of $700 and post; details are on the application form.
Refund and withdrawal
To be eligible for a full refund, application to withdraw from the course must be received at least (5) five working days prior to course commencement. Participants withdrawing after the course has commenced are obliged to pay a $100 administration fee.
Cancellation of courses
Deakin University maintains the right to cancel the course if minimum numbers are not obtained for the course, participants will be notified before class commencement and any payments made will be refunded in full.
On completion of this course, a Certificate of Education: Intensive Interaction will be awarded.
For further information
Contact: Daphanie Teo on 03 9251-7331
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B