Experience a World of Discovery
Deakin researchers on the up in ARC awards.
Deakin University has performed well in three major funding rounds announced by the Australian Research Council (ARC).
"I am very pleased to advise that Deakin University has increased its success rates in two of the schemes and has been awarded 13 Discovery Awards and four Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards (DECRA)," said Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), Professor Lee Astheimer.
"I congratulate each of the individuals and teams associated with the successful awards but I also wish to thank those who submitted applications who were not so fortunate.
"It takes a large amount of time and energy to prepare and submit applications and the efforts of all concerned should not go unrecognised.
"Of particular note is that Associate Professor Craig Olsson, School of Psychology, Faculty of Health and a member of the Centre for Mental Health and Wellbeing Research was awarded a Level 2 'Discovery Outstanding Researcher Award' or DORA.
"This is the first time that a Deakin staff member has successfully gained this award since it was introduced as part of the previous Discovery round."
Each of the faculties and the Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM) and the Alfred Deakin Research Institute (ADRI) were successful in gaining either Discovery or DECRA awards:
- Arts & Education - 5
- Institute of Frontier Materials - 5
- Health - 3
- Science & Technology - 3
- Business & Law/ADRI - 1
Of Deakin’s Strategic Research Centres (SRCs), three won multiple awards:
- Centre for Citizenship & Globalisation - 2
- Centre for Integrative Ecology - 2
- Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research - 2
Four of the SRCs won a single award:
- Centre for Intelligent Systems Research
- Centre for Memory Imagination & Invention
- Centre for Mental Health & Well Being Research
- Centre for Research in Educational Futures & Innovation
Finally, it should be noted that one of the DECRA recipients (Dr Michele Lobo) currently works as an Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow and another, (Dr Wren Greene) was recently awarded an Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
"This is a further indication of the success and value of this centrally funded research scheme in recognising, selecting and supporting the most competitive early career researchers," Professor Astheimer said.
DISCOVERY GRANTS (13 awards - 2 more than last year )
- Professor Christophe Antons - School of Law/ADRI
- Professor Ian (Ying) Chen - Institute of Frontier Materials
- Professor Maria Forsyth - Institute of Frontier Materials
- Professor Trevor Gale - School of Education
- Professor Peter Hodgson - Institute of Frontier Materials
- Professor Marcel Klaassen - School of Life & Environmental Sciences
- Professor Fethi Mansouri - School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Professor Lyn McCredden - School of Communication & Creative Arts
- Dr Sarah McNaughton - (current ARC Future Fellow) - School Exercise & Nutrition Sciences
- Associate Professor Craig Olsson - School of Psychology
- Associate Professor Hieu Trinh - School of Engineering
- Professor Xungai Wang - Institute of Frontier Materials
- Dr Anna Timperio – School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences.
DECRA (4 awards - 2 more than last year)
- Dr Wren Greene - Institute of Frontier Materials
- Dr Michele Lobo - Centre for Citizenship & Globalisation
- Dr Nicholas Porch - School of Life & Environmental Sciences
- Dr Christopher Smith - School of Humanities & Social Sciences