Frequently asked questions

How do I apply for 2015 entry into undergraduate on-campus courses?

Current Year 12 Students must apply on-line through VTAC ( ). Selection is based on ATAR score. Course pre-requisites are listed below.
Non-Year 12 Students must apply on-line through VTAC ( )
International Students: Please contact Deakin International for application information. (

What are the pre-requisites?

  • YEAR 12 prerequisites VCE units 3 and 4 - a study score of at least 25 in English (EAL) or 20 in English other than EAL.
  • Some subjects qualify for the middle band process. Please refer to for further information.

What are the ATAR Scores?

  • Please note that ATAR scores vary from year to year. The 2014 ATAR scores were:-
  • Bachelor of Design (Architecture)/Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours) | 76.45
  • Bachelor of Design (Architecture) |70.05
  • Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours)| 62.80
  • Bachelor of Architectural Technology | 51.20
  • Bachelor of Planning (Honours) | N/A
  • Global Science and Technology Program |  

I'm applying for Architecture as a non-year 12 student. Do I need to supply a design folio?

  • No, a design folio is not required as we recognise that many non-year 12 students apply for our courses from non-architecture related backgrounds. Therefore, to allow for a "level playing field" we do not require portfolios as part of the selection process. Non-year 12 requirements include educational history including GPA and VTAC Personal Statement.
  • Please note that year 12 leavers are also not required to submit a portfolio.

Can you tell me exactly how non-year 12 students are assessed?

  • The selection process is very straightforward. A non-year 12 student is assessed on their ATAR score (if applicable), any relevant TAFE/tertiary results, relevant work experience. Please make sure that you supply either the original transcripts or certified true copies of any academic results, ATAR score documents etc.

What are the contact hours?

  • Contact hours vary between each course and each year level. Generally, full-time students are required on-campus 16 - 20 hours per week.

Is part-time study an option?

  • Part-time study is an option for all undergraduate degrees offered by the School. Please note however that part-time study still involves attending classes and seminars at the Geelong Waterfront Campus.

Can the Architecture and Built Environment courses be studied off-campus or by distance education?

  • No, the undergraduate degrees offered by the school are available on-campus at the Geelong Waterfront Campus. While a small number of units can be taken in Cloud (On-line) mode, the vast majority of units are on-campus at the campus of offer.

Is there on-campus accommodation?

  • Student accommodation is available at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus. Please visit for more information. The Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) also provides support services for students wishing to find private accommodation closer to the Geelong Waterfront Campus.

Do many students from Melbourne study at the Geelong Waterfront Campus?

  • Yes, a large proportion of Architecture and Built Environment students live in Melbourne. The Geelong train station is only a brief walk away from the Geelong Waterfront Campus, and close proximity to the M1 Freeway makes the Geelong Waterfront Campus easily accessible by car. There are car parking facilities close to the Geelong Waterfront Campus.

What are the course fees?

For further information on HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP, please refer to the Commonwealth Government's myuniversity website.

Does Architecture and Built Environment allow for overseas exchanges?

  • The School of Architecture and Built Environment is proud to have exchange agreements in place with a number of leading universities worldwide. Recently, Architecture and Built Environment students completed exchanges in the U.S.A., Sweden, Finland, Canada, England, Germany, China, Italy and Mexico.

Who recognises and accredits your courses?

Who can I contact?

For further information please contact the School.

Back to top