- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
The only drawing program that works very accurately is Autocad.
Maximum Sheet Size – 2400mm x 1200mm
Minimum Sheet Size – 1200mm x 1200mm
* Drawing has to be 2D 1:1, R12DXF
Because there are a lot of updated versions of autocad the router operates only on R12DXF files.
* All drawings to be done on a 2400mm x 1200mm Sheet.
* No other objects can be shown outside your 2400mm x 1200mm Sheet.
Your file for the router can only show the 2400x1200 sheet and the cut outs inside it.
* Minimum distance from edge of sheet to cut outs is 50mm.
* Minimum distance from cut out to cut out is 20mm.
To stop the sheet disintegrating these distances are important for job quality.
* All shapes have to be enclosed and joined polylines.
Toolpath the program which runs the router only recognizes enclosed or joined shapes drawn as polylines. This also gives the operator the ability to make the machine cut either inside or outside the shape. There can be up to .4mm error on the size of cut outs. It is the students responsibility to produce a fully operational drawing.
* All single lines will be cut as centre lines.
As a single line is not a shape the machine will only cut that line using it as a centre line for the cut.
* Smallest shape that can be cut out successfully is 150mm x150mm.
* Sometimes cut outs have to be tabbed to help hold them to the table when being cut.
To stop movement on the table it is fitted with a vacuum that hold your cut outs down but if they are too small they can move. To stop this, the operator can tab your cut outs to the main sheet.
* Shapes smaller than this will be cut on the Laser.
These shapes will have to be placed on a 600mmx400mm sheet. Be aware the laser only cuts up to 9mm thickness.
* Make sure it is a single line drawing.
Toolpath will recognize double lines and double shapes and will not process them to be cut. If they are on your drawing they will have to be removed by you before the cutting process can commence.
* Drawings converted from other drawing programs do not work successfully.
Toolpath recognizes drawings that are drawn totally as a 2d autocad drawing. Microstation and 3D drawings converted to autocad can give DXF errors that make your file inoperable.
* Depth set ups are done on set up with the student present.
* When saving your drawing save it as a R12DXF file.
3mm cutter – 3mm and 6mm Material
4.5mm cutter- 3mm to 12mm material
6mm cutter – 3mm to 32mm material
The workshop can get busy so the best way to get your job cut is to book it in. There is a booking sheet in the workshop. It is best to book in a day prior to having your project machined and having it checked in toolpath for any problems so it can be corrected before cutting. Costs are involved in using the router so ask the workshop staff and they will give you an accurate price when you have it checked.