Industry based learning
STP301 Industry based learning (IBL) encourages a hands-on approach to learning and allow you to apply generic employability skills and capabilities in the area that you are majoring in.
The advantage of the IBL placement is that the longer 1 ½, 3, 6 or 12 month paid placement, in a full-time capacity, assists you in defining your career direction. These are high quality, full-time, intensive placements and you are paid approximately 80 per cent of a graduate salary.
Opportunities are available in a range of organisations, such as the government and non-government sector, small or large companies and local or international companies.
The program aims to:
- assist in the development of work ready workplace skills and, in particular, develop the key competencies of a lifelong learner
- critically appraise and demonstrate development of discipline specific knowledge, skills and dispositions required for future professional pathways
- gain credit towards your course
- develop your professional work practices and networks
IBL opportunities are either faculty sourced with you applying via a competitive selection process or you may source your own IBL opportunities in any discipline, but will need to provide evidence that they meet the high standards of IBL.
You are only permitted to enrol in one additional Cloud (online) unit. Completion of online modules and assessment requirements are in addition to the placement hours.
Unsure whether this placement is for you? Discover other placement opportunities
Who can do a placement?
IBL is open to undergraduate students enrolled in all courses offered by the Faculty of Science Engineering and Built Environment.
In addition, students will need to have completed at least 12 credit points of study with a minimum average of 65% and have at least one elective for 1 ½ and 3 month placements, two electives for 6 month placements or three electives for 12 month placements.
Our information for students site includes information for:
- Preparing for a WIL placement
- How to source and secure a placement
- Things you must know and do
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org