The Division of Student Life and our service partners aim to enrich the learning experience and life opportunities of all Deakin University students through a range of high quality, innovative, responsive and efficient services, which are relevant to and underpin the core teaching, research and international activities of the University.
Our priorities, strategies, actions, and resource allocations within the Division are governed and directed by the University Mission and its Strategic, Operational (annual) and Financial Plans.
We will lead
We will show leadership by seeking to influence University culture, planning, policy and services to strengthen the learning and life opportunities of students and the broader student experience.
We will do this by:
We will deliver student centred services
- review and analysis of internal & external information,
- professional networks and benchmarking
- consultation and regular interaction with Faculties and other areas
- adopting a holistic view of the diverse student body and their needs
- utilising formal and informal University systems, structures and decision making procedures.
We will plan and deliver services that are student centred, inclusive and effective.
- will be aligned to the University strategic and operational plans
will apply a whole of University student life-cycle approach, always seeking to be proactive and anticipatory
will be coordinated within the Division and across the University
- will be supported by evidence and data, balanced by a culture that encourages innovation and facilitates the breaking of new ground by taking calculated, informed risks.
We will communicate effectively with students and University staff to promote the value our services and to maximise access and uptake by
- Our services will build students knowledge and skills, providing positive opportunities for students to maximise their independent learning & personal development. Students do not need to be in crisis or having difficulties in order to gain benefits from engagement with our services.
- We will promote independent, self-directed student behaviour, in a community context.
- We will promote universal access in order to reach and be relevant to the majority of students.
- We will customise and target services for specific cohorts in response to their needs
- We will be pragmatic and apply problem solving to assist students navigate and overcome barriers to their success
- We will be coordinated internally within the Division and with Faculties and other Divisions.
- We will continuously improve by setting standards, monitoring our performance and learning from ourselves and others.
We will recognise the talent, expertise, commitment and potential of Division staff and our partners by:
- promoting our services and the benefits they bring
- focusing on communicating through the academic environment
- utilising communication tools and styles that are relevant and engaging to students recognising the preferences of specific cohorts
- reaching out to students where they are and not expect them to find us.
We will be efficient and obtain maximum value from University resources through:
- timely, honest, respectful and relevant communication
- providing clear direction
teamwork and mutual support across service boundaries within the Division and all parts of the University
- building the knowledge and expertise of staff
- recognising and rewarding effort and excellence
- encouraging and facilitating innovation
- developing and maintaining strong, integrated relationships with our contracted service partners.
- centralised and effective administration and financial services
- collaborating with other University areas to identify and implement improved systems and processes
- eliminating unnecessary administrative processes
- improving and maximising the use of technology without compromising service quality
- improving the quality and effectiveness of our infrastructure
- continuously striving to a model of best practice.
DSL Leadership Team
- John Devereaux, Director
- Gail Atkinson. Manager Business Services
- Scott McDonald, Manager, Student Transition, International and Academic Support
- David Essex, Manager Careers & Employment
- John Temple, Manager Personal Support and Residences
- Jo Cook, Planning and Communications Officer