Frequently asked questions


Is every new student guaranteed on-campus accommodation?

No. The demand for on-campus accommodation is always extremely high and a large number of students who submit applications miss out on a room.

As residences strive for a mix of both Australian and International students and foster a multi-cultural environment it is not always possible to accept everyone into residence each semester.

Back to top

When is the best time to apply for on-campus accommodation?

Please refer to the application closing dates listed in key dates.

International Students are encouraged to apply well before this date to allow for sufficient time in mailing accommodation offers.

Back to top

If I submit an application form for on-campus residential accommodation, does that mean I have received a room?

No. As the demand for accommodation outweighs the rooms available, submitting an application form simply means you will be included in the selection process. It does not guarantee that you will be successful in securing a room.

Back to top

What do I need to submit with my application form?

1. Complete the online application
2. Pay the application fee (if applicable).
3. Send the Reference Form to your nominated referee (except for NRAS applications).

Back to top

When will I know if I have received a room?

To find out when accommodation offers will be sent, refer to residences key dates.

Please note that you will not be informed of the status of your application over the phone.

If you wish to accept a place on residence you must confirm this by following the instructions in your offer email. 

Back to top

Are there male and female units?

No. All units consist of males and females.

While you will have your own bedroom, all other facilities in the unit, such as kitchen, loungeroom and bathrooms, are shared.

Back to top

If I accept a room on-campus, can I move in temporarily and then decide if I would like to stay permanently?

NO. Many students miss out on a room each trimester and then have to search for alternative accommodation. In securing accommodation off-campus they are required to sign a tenancy or licence agreement, usually for a 12-month period. In this sense, even if a room becomes available as a result of you leaving, it is unlikely that we will be able to fill the vacancy. It would cost too much money to the potential resident to break their existing agreement with their off-campus accommodation.

You should also be aware that once you accept the residency agreement, you are bound by the terms and conditions of that agreement. If you do vacate before the specified date on your agreement, you will incur financial penalties.

Back to top

If I know other people who have applied, can I indicate that I want to live in the same unit as them?

No. We encourage a multicultural community and as such room allocation is based on a "balance" of international and Australian students, gender and faculty mix.

All units are within close proximity to one another anyway, so if you don’t end up in the same unit as your friend, you will not have far to walk to meet them.

Back to top

What happens if I do not receive a room on campus?

Should you be unsuccessful in obtaining a place on residence, off-campus housing options are certainly available.

Properties located off-campus are managed by the Division of Student Life Off-Campus Housing Service. The Service captures and advertises much of the available accommodation offered by the community to students.

You are also encouraged to keep in contact with Residences during this time as vacancies do occur up until the official arrival date (and beyond!) due to other applicants declining offers or deferring from their course of study.

It is not unusual for vacancies to exist leading into the intra-trimester break in April so please, let us know if your preference is to live on-campus and we may well be able to accommodate you.

Back to top

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

23rd October 2013