Academic Progress is a process where the University monitors each student’s academic progress to ensure that they are making satisfactory progress towards completing their degree.
The academic progress timelines are set out in the Academic Progress: Show Cause and Appeals Schedule.
Academic progress at Deakin University is governed by the following Statutes and Regulation of the University:
- Statute 2.2 - The Academic Board (PDF, 122 KB)
- Statute 5.3 - Assessment and Academic Progress (PDF, 85 KB)
- Regulation 5.3(1) - Assessment and Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses (PDF, 42KB)
As determined by the Academic Board, students enrolled in higher education award courses, other than higher degrees by research courses, may be deemed to have achieved satisfactory academic progress when they have:
- passed at least 50 per cent of the credit points in which they are enrolled each trimester
- passed an enrolled Unit in a maximum of two attempts
- will be able complete their course within the maximum period of study, which will normally be calculated using the following formula:
- 2n + 1u (not including periods of intermission) where:
- n = the time taken to complete the equivalent full time load, normally 8 credit points per year, and
- u = year/semester, depending on the unit of measure of n.
- complied with an enrolment restriction/prescription imposed by the Faculty Committee, Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee or the Academic Appeals Committee.
Academic progress for Trimester 2 2009
If, at the conclusion of Trimester 2, 2009, a student has not achieved any one or more of the requirements set out above, the University may propose to take action pursuant to Regulation 5.3(1) Assessment and Academic Progress in Higher Education Course Awards and as specified in:
- Academic Progress operational policy (PDF, 210.2 KB)
- Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee and Faculty Committee Student Hearings: Rules of Procedure (PDF, 47.5 KB)
- Academic Appeals Committee Student Hearings: Rules of Procedure (PDF, 40.8 KB)
Please note that the new 'Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses procedure' #, takes effect from 9 November 2009 and does not apply to students going through the academic progress process at the conclusion of Trimester 2, 2009. [Added to Handbook 2 Nov 2009]
Academic progress for Trimester 3 2009
If, at the conclusion of Trimester 3, 2009, a student does not achieve any one or more of the requirements set out above, the University may propose to take action pursuant to Regulation 5.3(1) Assessment and Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses and as specified in the new Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses procedure # (effective from 9 November 2009). [Added to Handbook 2 Nov 2009]
# Procedures, policies or legislation from this year may have been replaced with revised or new versions and the links to these documents have been removed. To access documents relevant to this year, please email the Records Unit.