Codes for courses and units

The codes below will help you make sense of the codes used to describe courses and units.

Melbourne Burwood Campus
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
Geelong Waterfront Campus
Warrnambool Campus
Off Campus
Online unit for on-campus based students
Online unit for off-campus based students
Community Based Delivery for the Institute of Koorie Education

Enrolling and re-enrolling

As a student, to secure your place each year you need to make sure you're enrolled correctly , and that you re-enrol for the next year on time.  Re-enrolment usually occurs in September each year.

You should always make sure your personal details (contact details, enrolment and payment information) are correct through StudentConnect.

Course advice, enrolment officers

All courses of the University have structures which include the completion of a set number of units and may also include completion of core units or particular sequences of units.  These course rules can be found by using the Course Search facility in each year's Handbook.  The course descriptions in the Handbook differ from those on the course search for new students as they contain more detail for students currently studying. 

You can also find your course rules on StudentConnect through 'View course progress'.  This enables you to check your progress to successfully complete your course.  It also lets you know where there are units you must still complete to finish your course.

In all faculties and for all courses there are appointed Faculty course advisers and enrolment officers who can assist with course planning and provide information on course requirements. You can contact these staff for enrolment advice by email, in person or telephone.

Varying your enrolment

StudentConnect gives you access to:

  • add or withdraw units,
  • check and pay your fees,
  • access results,
  • view your exam timetable,
  • create your on-campus class timetable,
  • intermit or discontinue your course
  • print a transport concession form (if eligible)
  • apply for HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or SA-HELP (if eligible)
  • view your course progress
  • print evidence of your enrolment.


At Deakin there are three trimesters, (a study period).  Trimester 1 runs from February to July; Trimester 2 runs from July to November; Trimester 3 runs from November to February.  Generally, to undertake your course full time, you would study 4 units in Trimester 1 and 2. Trimesters allow great flexibility though, and you could always spread your load throughout the three trimesters and give you time for work or other responsibilities outside uni.


The Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery and the Bachelor of Medical Imaging operate over two semesters each year.  The first runs from February to June, the second from July to November.

Full-time study

To be considered a full time student by the University and Centrelink, you need to be enrolled in at least three units (or 3 credit points) in a trimester. However, 4 credit points in a trimester is the usual full time when attempting to complete a course as efficiently as possible.

Part-time study

A part time study load is 1 or 2 credit points in a trimester. You should consider the time it will take you to complete your course if you chose to study part time.


Each unit code is made up of three letters and three numbers.   The first number in each code denotes the level of the unit. The unit name is usually descriptive of the unit content.

  • AXX111 - Arts
  • EXX111 - Education
  • HXX111 - Health
  • MXX111 - Business and Law
  • SXX111 - Science, Engineering and Built Environment.


If a unit has a 'prerequisite unit', you must have successfully completed that prerequisite unit/s before you study in the unit with the prerequisite.  


If a unit description has a co-requisite unit, it means you must complete that unit at the same time (same study period), as the unit you want to enrol in.

Course rules

Each course has rules and a structure that must be followed. Course rules will tell which units you can choose from, in what order and from what level, to successfully meet the requirements of your course.


A major is a group of units (a unit set) in  a particular area or academic discipline.  A major can be made up of either 6 or 8 units. A major only pertains to undergraduate courses.

To find out all the majors offered by Deakin either talk to a course adviser or simply use the Handbook search and see which courses that major (your area of interest) belongs to.  In some case your course rules might allow you do a major from another faculty or course.


An elective can be any unit that does not have a restriction on it and one that your course allows you to do.  In an undergraduate course you can only choose undergraduate units as electives.  Speak with a course adviser about any units you are interested in to find out what is possible within your course rules.

Core units

These are units which you must complete in order to meet the requirements of your course. Not all courses have core units (eg. Bachelor of Arts), and some courses will be made up almost entirely of core units (eg. Bachelor of Nursing). Your course rules and any official course maps will outline the core units of your course (if any).

Credit transfer and recognition

If you have studied at post-secondary level before, or have relevant work or life experience, you may be eligible for credit transfer or recognition (credit for prior learning).  This means you may not have to complete a unit if you've completed something very similar at the same level before, or you may get general credit and therefore not have to complete an elective.

Invalid units

If you fail a pre-requisite or co-requisite unit or fail to meet special requirements for a unit, the unit in question will become 'Invalid'. More at Rule breaches and invalid units.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: