Tuition fee loans

The University provides interest-free tuition fee loans to enable currently enrolled full fee paying students, residing and studying in Australia, who are facing proven financial hardship through changes in circumstances outside their control, to continue their studies.

Tuition fee loans are to cover only payment of tuition fees (not including retained fees). It is not to cover personal living expenses. Full fee paying students may also be eligible to apply for a general student loan for living expenses by contacting the Division of Student Administration.


Student should be:

  • an International student on a valid student visa to Australia for the purpose of full time study in an award course on a Deakin University campus in Australia; or
  • a full fee paying domestic student currently enrolled in a Deakin University award course; and
  • have generally completed a substantial part of their course at Deakin University, and be able to complete the remainder of their course within three trimesters; and
  • have performed academically at a satisfactory level to the point where the student can expect to complete the course in minimum time.

The maximum loan amount is $7,000 at any one time. Where there are insufficient funds to meet all requests, priority will be given to those students closest to the completion of their degrees and on academic merit.

Loan conditions

Applicants must:

  • provide evidence of a change in circumstances outside their control which affects the ability to pay tuition fees; and
  • demonstrate the capacity to repay the loan before the completion of their course; and
  • demonstrate the capacity to pay future trimester tuition fees not covered by the loan amount in full by the census dates; and
  • have a Guarantor. A Guarantor cannot be another student or a member of Deakin University staff and must be either an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

Loans will generally be approved for a period not exceeding one academic year. Applications can cover loans for full or partial fees for one or two trimesters. Loans are interest free, except when the conditions of the loan have been breached, a surcharge is applied to the balance of the loan.

Application procedure

International students

Application forms are available by making an appointment to speak to a Financial Assistance Officer in the Division of Student Administration at your campus.

An International Student Adviser is available for support and advice to international students.

Domestic full fee paying students

Application forms are available from Student Financial Assistance in the Division of Student Administration at your campus.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: