Tuition fee loans
The purpose of the Fund is to enable currently enrolled full fee paying Deakin University students, residing and studying in Australia and who are facing proven financial hardship through changes in circumstances outside their control, to continue their studies.
The Emergency Fund is to cover only payment of tuition fees (not including retained fees). It is not to cover personal living expenses.
Full fee paying students may also be eligible to apply for a student loan for living expenses from the Deakin University Student Loan Fund available by contacting the Division of Student Administration.
Student should be:
- an International student on a valid student visa to Australia for the purpose of full time study in an award course on a Deakin University campus in Australia; or
- a full fee paying domestic student currently enrolled in a Deakin University award course; and
- have generally completed a substantial part of their course at Deakin University, and be able to complete the remainder of their course within three trimesters; and
- have performed academically at a satisfactory level to the point where the student can expect to complete the course in minimum time.
Where there are insufficient funds to meet all requests, priority will be given to those students closest to the completion of their degrees and on academic merit.
- provide evidence of a change in circumstances outside their control which affects the ability to pay tuition fees; and
- demonstrate the capacity to repay the loan before the completion of their course; and
- have a Guarantor. A Guarantor cannot be another student or a member of Deakin University staff and must be either an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
The student must provide a repayment schedule. Loans will generally be approved for a period not exceeding one academic year. Applications can cover loans for full or partial fees for one or two trimesters. Loans are interest free, except when the conditions of the loan have been breached, a surcharge is applied to the balance of the loan.
Application forms are available by making an appointment to speak to a Financial Support Officer in the Division of Student Administration at your campus.
An International Student Adviser is available for support and advice to international students.
Domestic full fee paying students
Application forms are available from Student Financial Support in the Division of Student Administration at your campus..
Counsellors in Student Life and the Financial Assistance Officers in the Division of Student Administration are available for support and advice when preparing the application.
Emergency fund sub-committees
The sub-committee of the Student Loan Fund dealing with Emergency Loans for Full Fee paying students may comprise of:
- the Chairperson of the Committee
- Deakin International Representative
- one member of the Student Loan Fund Committee
Please note: the Committee reserves the right to decide whether or not an application is approved. The decision of the Committee is final and appeals to overturn its decision will not be considered.