Warning: you are currently viewing an archived version of the Deakin website. Content here is for historical reference only. For up-to-date information, return to the Deakin University home page.

Refunds and remissions

You can qualify for a refund if you withdraw from your course, or reduce your study load, before the census date. After the census date, you may have your debt 'remitted' under special circumstances.

Refund of student fees

If you discontinue your enrolment or reduce your enrolment load on or before the census date of any study period, you may be entitled to apply for a refund of fees paid for that period.  

Domestic students will be entitled to a 100% refund of any fee amount paid, provided you withdraw from your units on or before the census date. 

The refunded amount for international students depends on whether you are a commencing or continuing student.

A refund can only be paid where:

  • the University has received the money that is to be refunded and the funds have been cleared
  • you have already actioned any enrolment changes
  • the effective date of the enrolment change is on or before the census date
  • the payment has not already been allocated to other outstanding student fees, e.g. fees assessed for the following study period.

You can see if you have money in credit by accessing StudentConnect through Deakin Sync. If you are still enrolled and have not elected to defer your fees to HELP, any amount in credit will be applied to the fees for your future enrolment.

Complete the Application for refund of fees (PDF, 551.9KB) form and forward it to:

  • Deakin Central on any campus, or
  • email to fees@deakin.edu.au, or
  • mail to:
    Fees, Scholarships and Financial Assistance
    Division of Student Administration
    Deakin University
    Locked Bag 20000
    Geelong VIC 3220

How long will it take?

Under normal circumstances refunds will be processed within 14 business days of receipt of your correctly completed application.

Payment methods

All refunds are paid in Australian dollars by one of the following methods:

  • Cheque to an Australian address
  • Bank Draft to an overseas address
  • Telegraphic Transfer to an overseas bank account

Remission of debt in special circumstances

In special circumstances, the Higher Education Support Act 2003 provides that students who withdraw from their units after the relevant census dates can apply to have their:

  • HECS-HELP debt for those units remitted
  • HECS-HELP debt for a unit consisting wholly of work experience in industry (WEI) remitted
  • FEE-HELP balance re-credited
  • Up-front payment of a student contribution or tuition fee refunded.

You cannot apply for a re-credit or remission if you have successfully completed or are currently enrolled in the unit of study.  Note: If you are still enrolled in a unit you should consider applying for Special Consideration before applying for Remission of Debt.  Alternatively if you are still enrolled you must withdraw from the unit before submitting your application.

Remission of debt in special circumstances is about the refund/re-credit of fees and should not be used as a way to change grades.  A 'WRN - Remission with academic penalty' grade may be applied to your enrolment, even if your application is approved and fees are refunded/re-credited.

Dissatisfaction with course material, teaching style or method of delivery is not considered a special circumstance for Remission of debt purposes.  You are advised to contact your faculty in these instances or go to Student concerns and complaints.

The University must remit any debt if the provider is satisfied that the special circumstances:

  • are beyond the person's control
  • did not make their full impact on the person until on, or after, the census date, and
  • made it impracticable for the person to complete the requirements for the unit during the period which the person undertook, or was to undertake the unit

The special circumstance must occur or make its full impact on your studies after the applicable census date.

Medical circumstances: Your medical condition must change or escalate to such an extent that you are unable to continue studying. If you have a pre-existing condition your application needs to clearly demonstrate how your circumstances changed after the census date.  If no change or escalation occurs Remission of debt is not available to you.

Pregnancy or child birth without complications is not considered special circumstances for Remission of debt purposes.

Family/personal circumstances: For example, death or severe medical problems within your family, or unforeseen natural disasters. 

Employment related circumstances: For example, where your employment status or arrangements have changed so that you are unable to continue your studies, and this is beyond your control.  Changing employer after census date where you were aware of the new employment conditions is not considered special circumstances for Remission of debt purposes.

Course related circumstances: For example, where the Faculty has changed the unit it had offered and you are disadvantaged by either not being able to complete the unit, or not being given credit towards other units or courses.

If your special circumstances are known to you before census date your application must demonstrate the date when your circumstances changed or escalated and the impact they had on your ability to complete your studies.

If you withdraw from unit(s) after the applicable census date, the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) will still apply and no refund will be given. If you have elected to defer payment of your SSAF through SA-HELP, a HELP debt will still be incurred and form part of your accumulated HELP debt.  If you have not paid your SSAF the fee will remain outstanding and must be paid.

You must apply to the University in writing within 12 months from the date you withdraw from a unit or the end of the relevant study period (whichever occurs first).    

Applications must be date-based, detailing the special circumstance/s which occurred and the impact they had on your ability to complete your studies.  Where an application involves more than one period all circumstances and events should be listed separately for each period. 

Applications must include independent supporting documentation, for example, a letter from your doctor, counsellor or employer to support your claims. Letters from Healthcare professionals must clearly indicate the date/s when your circumstances changed and the impact on your studies.

If you have a pre-existing condition your application needs to clearly demonstrate how your circumstances changed after the census date.  If no change or escalation occurs Remission of debt is not available to you. 

Any student who is found to have submitted a false statement or supporting documentation will be referred to the Faculty Student Misconduct Committee.

Commonwealth supported and FEE-HELP students

Fee paying domestic and international students

Your application will be assessed within 28 days of receipt by the University. For any queries, please contact Deakin Central.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: