Literacy & Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education
From 1 July 2016, the requirement of the Australian Government is that all teaching graduates must pass the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students in order to teach. For students commencing from 2017 this test is a core requirement for graduation in our initial teacher education courses. Please check your course entry in the handbook for full details.
For students enrolled prior to 2017 this test does not currently form part of our accreditation requirements for our courses, but it is something you should consider to enhance your employment prospects after you've finished studying with Deakin.
We encourage you to consider sitting this externally-administered test for the same reasons as published by the Victorian Institute of Teaching:
* It may enhance your employment opportunities both within Australia and overseas as you have demonstrated that you have met the required standards
* Public confidence in the quality of teaching graduates is enhanced
* Australian Ministers for Education support this initiative as part of the national agenda of reform for Initial Teacher Education
In addition, it is possible that school principals may prefer to choose applicants who have satisfactorily completed the Literacy & Numeracy Test.
Deakin University will provide your results of the Literacy and Numeracy Test, as well as your course completion, to the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
Do you need help?
If you need help in preparing for your Literacy and/or Numeracy test, the services below may help.
Need further literacy support? Contact a Language and Learning Adviser:
- Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool - Dr Steven Grivas
- 5227 2597
- Burwood - Dr Nara Tsedendamba
- 9246 8398
Maths Portal for resources generally to support your maths competencies
Maths for Education Portal particularly developed for Education students to assist them in their work as teachers