Requalify for Practice

Already qualified internationally or in another state?

If you are already qualified to practice law internationally or in another state you may be able to undertake single units (non-award) for professional development purposes at Deakin University.

Re-qualify for practice

Law graduates may also enrol in single units (non award) at Deakin University for the purposes of requalifying for practice in Victoria.

Australia's six States and two Territories each have separate admission boards with varying requirements for law practitioners. The first step is to contact the governing body in the state in which you intend to practice.

In the State of Victoria, this body is the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB). If you are an overseas law graduate VLAB will assess your qualifications and determine which areas of study you need to undertake in order to qualify for practice in the State of Victoria. VLAB will supply you with a letter outlining unit/s you need to enrol in. This letter must be supplied with your application.

Note: If you wish to undertake a law unit you must check the VLAB table below for equivalent units of study offered at Deakin. For example if VLAB have instructed you to enrol in Property, you must undertake both MLL327 Property and MLL325 Land Law to comply.

Deakin Law School offers units which are endorsed by the Victorian Legal Admissions Board as meeting the areas of knowledge required for admission to practice in Victoria. Those wishing to practice in states other than Victoria may still undertake Deakin units, however they may be required to undertake study at a particular institution to satisfy a specific state requirement. In order to determine your requirements you must contact the relevant admission board in the state in which you intend to practice.

Important information regarding CPL

Students seeking Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) must note that relevant consideration in granting specified credit for the 'Priestley 11 subjects' as noted by the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB), is that the areas of knowledge in Schedule 2 have been satisfied to 100% equivalency. Please refer to the VLAB website for further information Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB)

VLAB required area of study

VLAB required area of study

Priestley 11

Deakin University equivalent

(Please check the Handbook for unit offerings as these are subject to change)

ContractsMLL111 Contract (Trimester 1) and
MLL215 Commercial Law (Trimester 2) 
Civil Dispute ResolutionMLL391 Civil Procedure and Dispute Resolution (Trimester 2)
TortsMLL213 Torts (Trimester 1) and
MLL217 Misleading Conduct & Economic Torts (Trimester 2)
Criminal Law & ProcedureMLL218 Criminal Procedure (Trimester 1) and
MLL214 Criminal Law (Trimester 2)
Federal & State Constitutional LawMLL323 Constitutional Law (Trimester 2)
Company LawMLL221 Corporate Law (Trimester 1)
Equity (including Trusts)MLL405 Equity & Trusts (Trimester 1)
PropertyMLL327 Property (Trimester 1) and
MLL325 Land Law (Trimester 2)
Administrative LawMLL324 Administrative Law (Trimester 1)
EvidenceMLL334 Evidence (Trimester 2)
Ethics and Professional ResponsibilityMLL335 Legal Practice & Ethics (Trimester 2)

Further information

Deakin Law School
telephone +61 3 9244 6555

Deakin International
telephone +61 3 9244 5095

Page custodian: Faculty of Business & Law
Last updated: