Clinical exercise physiology FAQs

Who are Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP)?

AEPs are university-trained clinical exercise physiologists who are professionally accredited at the AEP level (Level 2) by Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA). AEPs use exercise to improve the health, fitness and quality of life for people living with chronic medical conditions or disabilities, or who are recovering from injury. AEPs find employment in hospital, medical, occupational, community, case management or sports settings. AEPs practise through compensation schemes such as Medicare, WorkSafe, TAC, Veterans Affairs and many private health insurers.

Why are there so many pre-requisites for entry into the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (H743)?

In order for the Masters to be offered over 18 months and still be recognised by ESSA, significant prior knowledge is required and assumed. Applicants must satisfy these entry criteria: (i) eligible for Level 1 Exercise Scientist accreditation from ESSA (equivalent to Full Membership of ESSA) and (ii) completed 140 hours of exercise service delivery for apparently healthy clientele.

What if you are lacking in some of the pre-requisites for entry into the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (H743)?

All entry criteria must be met and so you will need to take some non-award single study units and/or find placements to complete the 140 hours with apparently healthy clientele, prior to applying for the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (H743). Deakin University can help with advice and enrolment in non-award study units, but is not able to help you find suitable placements for apparently healthy clientele. In the case of the latter, go to ESSA to find the requirements for undertaking and documenting these practicum hours.

Can I become an AEP after graduation in the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (H743)?

Yes, the course is designed to meet all of the knowledge, competencies and clinical practicum requirements for AEPs.

Are Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) offered for this course?


What marks are required from undergraduate studies in Exercise and Sports Science for entry into the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (H743)?

This will vary from year to year, depending on the quality of applicants. But a Distinction average for the core study units is likely to be near the cut-off.

What are the main differences between physiotherapists and AEPs (clinical exercise physiologists)?

Physiotherapists tend to treat the primary problem, usually an injury, at the acute and early post-acute stages of rehabilitation. AEPs treat the whole person, using exercise and other lifestyle strategies and health coaching. AEPs help people recovering from illness (eg heart attack), injury (eg muscle tear) or an operation (eg hip replacement), with a goal to helping clients to help themselves to better long term health and fitness (prevention).

Do AEPs earn the same as physiotherapists?

Yes, when these health professionals are employed by hospitals. Both enter their professions at Grade I, with equal salary and status. Careers then progress from there. Also, when physiotherapists and AEPs bill their clients under Medicare, WorkSafe and other schemes, the billing charges are very comparable.

Page custodian: Faculty of Health
Last updated: