School of Nursing and Midwifery
Welcome to the School of Nursing and Midwifery.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery at Deakin University is one of the largest schools of nursing and midwifery in Australia.
We are at the University's four campuses:
The School is dedicated to providing courses that reflect today's nursing and midwifery practice imperatives at:
- undergraduate level; and
- postgraduate level.
Our courses produce graduates who are well prepared to meet the challenges of a dynamic health care system.
Our courses are:
- committed to quality and safety in health care;
- aligned with the recommendations of the Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC);
- underpinned by best practice guidelines; and
- person-centric, ensuring optimal health outcomes for patients, their families, carers and the community.
We believe in an experiential approach to nursing and midwifery education.
As an undergraduate student you will engage in patient care experiences in the clinical setting throughout your course.
This experiential approach underpins the:
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing (Clinical Leadership)
- three unique combined courses:
- Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery;
- Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion; and
- Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Psychological Science.
You can also apply for one of the unique Clinical Fellowship programs.
If we select you for a Clinical Fellowship program, you can:
- do most of your clinical placements in one health service; and
- in some cases attend seminars and simulations in that health service.
We conduct our postgraduate offerings in collaboration with several hospitals and using a work-based education model.
We carefully select the following focused learning modalities to prepare you for specialty practice:
- team-based learning;
- flipped classroom; and
- cloud technologies.
Postgraduate courses are offered in:
- cardiac care;
- critical care;
- emergency care;
- intensive care;
- nursing practice;
- nurse practitioner; and
- diabetes education.
You can study postgraduate research degrees at a:
- masters level; and
- doctoral (PhD) level.
Our extensive partnership arrangements with major health care providers is a feature of our engagement with the clinical setting.
Through the joint appointment of staff, these formal partnerships support:
- research activity; and
- student clinical placement opportunities.
We also have extensive links with other hospitals and health services for:
- clinical placements;
- research; and
- consultancy activities.
Our formal partners include:
- Alfred Health;
- Barwon Health;
- Eastern Health;
- Epworth HealthCare;
- Monash Health; and
- Western Health.
Our long-standing appointment of clinical professors in these partnerships has led to the development of outstanding research outcomes for:
- patient care;
- our partners; and
- our School.
The School also hosts a University funded Strategic Research Centre: Centre for Quality and Patient Safety Research (QPS).
We have many international relationships, and formal partnerships in:
- United Kingdom; and the
These partnerships give you the chance to undertake:
- trimester exchanges in Denmark;
- Study Tours in
- Philippines; and
We conduct several international research activities with our offshore partners including:
- collaborative research projects; and
- staff and student exchanges.
We also have a variety of international students to ensure:
- cultural diversity within your cohort; and
- the opportunity for you to learn about global health care challenges.
Information to assist you in course planning and enrolling for the upcoming academic year.
For all clinical related enquiries please contact the clinical team:
- phone: +61 3 9244 5445
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You need essential knowledge, skills and capabilities to:
- undertake and successfully complete the undergraduate nursing and midwifery courses; and
- to practice safely as a registered nurse and/or midwife.
All School of Nursing and Midwifery students are required to read and comply with the inherent requirements for the Bachelor of Nursing suite of courses.
You may be able to participate in the following international opportunities:
- Student Exchange Program
- Study Tours to:
This site contains many helpful resources to assist you with your studies.
This includes information on the following:
- Name badge ordering
- Uniform order form and styles
Clinical Simulation Centre practice bookings
You are able to book Simulation Centre Beds for nursing simulation practice and related activities...
To book a practice time slot, click on the relevant link below and follow the instructions:
- Burwood Clinical Simulation Centre bookings
- Waterfront Clinical Simulation Centre bookings
- Warrnambool Clinical Simulation Centre bookings
Join the Nursing and Midwifery Alumni Chapter.