Our approach to Emergency Management
We use a systematic approach to the management of incidents or issues that seriously affect or may affect the University's people, operations or reputation. Where possible, this approach uses existing infrastructure and procedures.
We have developed this approach to meet our legal requirements, standards of good governance and, importantly, to minimise the risk to its staff, students, partners and communities.
Our approach brings together four elements:
- Emergency response (making people safe and minimising damage to assets)
- Emergency management (coordinating the emergency response and managing the recovery)
- Crisis management (addressing strategic business and reputation issues)
- Business continuity (maintaining business operations)
The application of these four elements will depend upon the situation and the good judgement of University managers and staff. For example, a major fire would involve all four elements whilst a major public controversy may only involve crisis management.
It will be rare that an Emergency or Crisis Management Team will be required. It is more likely that issues or incidents will be managed and resolved by (emergency) response teams at the operational level: matters will go no further than 'monitoring by Senior Executive member responsible'. Nevertheless, we have put in place arrangements to handle the full range of incidents and issues.
Policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions
- Local Emergency Management Standard (PDF, 151.5 KB)
- Staff Travel
- Overseas travel insurance for staff
- Student Critical Incidents Policy
- Student Statement - Emergency Procedure (PDF, 20.4 KB)
- Post-Traumatic Incident Management Instruction (PDF, 31.5 KB)
- Fire suppression equipment (fire extinguishers and fire blankets) (PDF, 74.5 KB)
Image or reputation impact event
Issues or events that may impact on the University's reputation or public image must be reported immediately to your line manager. Appendix A of the Critical Incident Management Plan provides some guidance.