Interviewing industry professionals
Interviewing industry professionals is a great way to explore your career options. It involves talking to people about their careers and what they do in their jobs.
Benefits of interviewing industry professionals
- Gaining a better understanding of a career field and the work it involves
- Learning about new and interesting careers
- Clarifying career goals
- Gaining a perspective on employment trends and opportunities
- Learning what skills are needed
- Gathering ideas for selecting relevant courses and degree programs
- Making contacts in the field in which one hopes to work
Tips for interviewing industry professionals
- Make contact with an industry professional and ask for a meeting to find out more about the work that the organisation/person does.
- Indicate the length of time that you anticipate the interview will take (20 minutes is usual).
- Compile a list of questions that you wish to ask. Only ask questions to which the answers are not easily researched online.
- Introduce yourself and thank them for making the time to answer your questions
- Ask the most relevant/important questions first in case you run out of time
- Make a good impression with your presentation, preparation and professionalism
- Keep to the agreed time for the interview
- Take notes as required
- Do not ask for a job as this is not the purpose of the interview
- What has been your career path into your current role (e.g. qualifications and prior employment)?
- What are your tasks and responsibilities?
- Tell me about a typical day in your job?
- What do you like/dislike about your job?
- What advice would you give someone wanting to gain their first job in this profession?
- How does this job affect your lifestyle?
- What do you wish you had known prior to entering this field?
- What professional journals or professional associations would you recommend?
- Where do you want to go next with your career?