Environmental management and sustainability
What can I do with my course in environmental management and sustainability?
- Careers in environmental management and sustainability
- Skills and related occupations
- Salary and job outlook
Careers in environmental management and sustainability
In environmental management and sustainability, you work with natural, rural and urban systems and their communities.
With your broad-based knowledge of the functioning and management of the complex interactions between the biological, physical, social, economic and political worlds, you can work with government, industry and regulatory bodies undertaking tasks such as:
- Assessing, monitoring and analysing the environment
- Guarding the environment against overuse and waste disposal
- Planning activities and developing policy to achieve best outcomes for the environment and society
- Managing interaction between people and the environment
- Working with natural, rural, and urban systems and communities
- Pollution control
- Managing water resources
- Working in strategy or research
There are a variety of career avenues in fields such as environmental planning, environmental policy, sustainability, environmental protection, climate change adaptation and mitigation, industry-based environmental management, waste management, human dimensions of environmental management, environmental education, catchment management, water resource management, land rehabilitation, pollution control, environmental science, conservation, and coastal and park management.
Skills and attributes
You will need to demonstrate the following skills and attributes to gain employment in environmental management and sustainability:
- An excellent eye for detail and observation skills
- Research and analytical abilities
- Possess a logical approach to problem solving
- High level written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Related roles include:
- Natural resource manager
- Environmental scientist
- Environmental engineer
- Urban and regional planner
- Environmental health officer
- Geoscience technician
- Park ranger
- Research scientist
- Laboratory technician
- Scientific Consultant (Government or private industry)
Salary and job outlook
You can learn more about graduate salaries and graduates job outcomes for environmental management and sustainability graduates at Graduate Careers Australia.
Look at industry trends and employment prospects by visiting Australian Government Job Outlook.
Professional associations are an invaluable connection to industry information, networking and professional development opportunities. Most offer student membership discounts. Follow the link to search for professional associations related to your course.