What can I do with my course in Indonesian?
Careers for Indonesian Graduates
Your communication skills in Indonesian and your contextual knowledge of Indonesia's history, culture and society will benefit you in a career in international relations, social sciences, immigration, education or human services.
Bahasa Indonesia is offered by many Australian schools and an ability to teach Indonesian is a sought-after qualification for teachers.
When combined with other qualifications, your fluency in Indonesian may enhance your employment opportunities with Australian businesses that trade with Indonesia. You could look for opportunities in agriculture, tourism, mining and minerals, live cattle exports, finance and banking, food and beverages, transport and communications.
Skills and attributes
Graduates of Indonesian need to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to confidently code switch between Indonesian and English
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse range of social groups across age groups
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Critical thinking skills through analytical and conceptual thought
- Sensitive to and appreciative of, cultural difference and diversity
Related roles include:
- Public servant in a state or territory government
Salary and job outlook
You can learn more about graduate salaries and graduates job outcomes for Indonesian graduates at Graduate Careers Australia.
Look at industry trends and employment prospects by visiting Australian Government Job Outlook.
Professional associations are an invaluable connection to industry information, networking and professional development opportunities. Most offer student membership discounts. Follow the link to search for professional associations related to your course.